BELMONT, N.C. – The King University women's soccer team returned to the pitch on Wednesday afternoon when they traveled to Conference Carolinas foe Belmont Abbey College. The Crusaders tallied three goals in each half to take the contest 6-0.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 6, King 0
LOCATION: Alumni Field, Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 5-2-1, 3-1 Conference Carolinas, Belmont Abbey 5-2-1, 3-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jillian Lang scored for Belmont Abbey from the middle of the field in the 13th minute to give the Crusaders the lead.
- Belmont Abbey added goals in the 27th and 30th minutes from Laura Shelton and Kate Hennessey to take a 3-0 lead into the break.
- Cassidy Coutinho added to the tally in the 60th minute before Meghan Phil and Cierra Skyers added insurance goals in the 75th and 82nd minutes respectively.
- The Crusaders had the advantage on shots as well, outshooting King 31-5.
- Olivia Drake made six saves in goal for the Tornado.
- Keely Easterling posted King's lone shot on goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Belmont Abbey scored their second goal on a penalty kick.
- The Crusaders stretched the lead to 4-0 in the second half off of a corner kick.
- King returns to action on Saturday at Parks Field when they host the University of Mount Olive at 1:00 p.m.
- The Crusaders host Converse College on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.