BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team took one of the top teams in Conference Carolinas and nearly came away with a home victory over Limestone College. The Saints scored two first half goals and made them stand up as Hulda Sigurdardottir tried to bring King back late with a goal, but it wasn't enough as King fell 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 2, King 1
LOCATION: Parks Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-4-2, 4-2-1 Conference Carolinas, Limestone 11-1, 8-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone controlled play early, placing three shots on frame in the first 13 minutes, but all were turned away by goalkeeper Olivia Drake.
- Paula Doran and Kendyl Baird then had a pair of chances over the next 10 minutes, but those too were turned away by the Saint goalkeeper.
- Following more pressure from the Saints, Limestone broke through in the 34th minute when Megan O'Connor dripped through the Tornado defense and laced a shot from 25 yards out that was place into the top of the net, giving the Saints a 1-0 lead.
- Nearing the end of the half the Saints threatened again, with Isidora Hernandez hit the post and the rebound was collected by O'Connor who scored her second goal of the game, giving Limestone a 2-0 lead in the 44th minute.
- King came out on the attack in the second half, outshooting Limestone 15-6 in the frame, placing four shots on goal while holding the Saints without a shot on frame.
- The Tornado finally broke through in the 82nd minute when Sigurdardottir took a pass from Kara Garrett and buried her shot in the back of the net from the middle of the box.
- The Tornado ripped two more shots over the final eight minutes, but neither found the back of the net as King fell 2-1.
FOR THE FOES
- The two goals for O'Connor now gives her six on the year.
- Goalkeeper Mariette Martinez accounted for six saves, earning her ninth win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Sigurdardottir the goal marks her eight of the year and she now ranks second in Conference Carolinas in goals.
- The assist for Garrett was the first helper of her career.
- King will be in action again on Saturday when they travel to take on North Greenville University. Kickoff from Tigerville, S.C. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Limestone next travels to Barton College on Saturday for a 2:00 p.m. kickoff.