SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's soccer team had already wrapped up their highest finish in Conference Carolinas since they became members, but the Tornado had a chance to earn the third seed in the conference tournament with a win at Converse College on Saturday evening. The game was even throughout and remained scoreless going to a second overtime where the Valkyries scored in the 105th minute to take the 1-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Converse 1, King 0 (2OT)
LOCATION: Hayden Abney Fulp Field, Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 9-6-2, 7-3-1 Conference Carolinas, Converse 11-6-1, 7-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams were evenly matched throughout as Converse had a slight edge in shots, 10-9 in the first half while King held a 5-2 edge in corner kicks. Both teams placed three shots on frame in the first 45 minutes.
- Converse registered the first scoring chance, a shot that was turned away by Olivia Drake in the fifth minute.
- The Tornado answered when Miranda Smith placed a shot on frame in the 16th minute that was blocked by the Converse goalkeeper.
- The Valkyries had flurry in the final five minutes of the half, but Drake stood her ground to send the game to halftime knotted at 0-0.
- In the second half, both teams ripped five shots, each putting three on frame, but all being turned away by the opposing keeper.
- Kara Garrett had a chance to give King the lead in the 77th minute from 10 yards out, but her shot was saved by the Converse goalkeeper as the game went to overtime.
- In the first two minutes of the first overtime, Rachel Thorpe and Garrett both put shots on goal, but both were turned away.
- Drake then came up with another save, and the Valkyries sent a shot high before King turned the field over the final three minutes.
- Thorpe put another shot on goal in the 97th minute, and the Tornado had three corner kicks in the 98th minute, but to not avail as the game went to a second overtime.
- Five minutes into the second overtime Converse broke through as Drake stopped the first shot from Darby Boyd, but Boyd followed it and put the rebound in to give the Valkyries the 1-0 victory.
- Drake posted eight saves in the contest.
- Garrett led King with six shots, placing five on frame.
FOR THE FOES
- Savannah Humphries recorded six saves to earn the win for Converse.
- Josee Waitrovich played the first 45 minutes and registered three saves.
- The goal for Boyd marked her ninth of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double overtime game for King marked their third of the season and fourth overtime contest of the year, their most since 2013 when they played four double overtime games.
- King will be the No. 4 seed in next week's Conference Carolinas Tournament, their highest finish since joining the league. Monday's contest will also be their first home Conference Carolinas Tournament match.
- The two teams will square off again on Monday at 2:00 p.m. at Parks Field as Converse is the fifth seed in the conference tournament.