FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's soccer team opened Conference Carolinas play with a tough test at Emmanuel College on Saturday. The Lions scored early in the second half to take the lead and added an insurance goal late, taking the contest 2-0.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 2, King 0
LOCATION: Emmanuel Soccer Field; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 1-3, 0-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 1-3, 1-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado were on the attack early, taking four shots and earning a corner kick in the first 15 minutes. One of the shots, a header by Haley Cook nearly missed as it hit the post.
- Emmanuel then turned the field, taking a pair of shots, the second saved by King goalkeeper Olivia Drake.
- King attempted to answer as Mackenzie Wrather put back-to-back shots on target, but both were turned away by Lion keeper Hannah Welch.
- At halftime, the score remained scoreless with the Tornado posting eight shots, three on frame and the Lions taking three shots and placing one on goal.
- Emmanuel pressured the Tornado early in the second half, ripping a shot that was turned away by Drake in the 47th minute that resulted in a corner kick.
- Following the corner kick, Elisa Bornheimer put the ball into the back of the net on a pass Hannah Watson, giving the Lions a 1-0 advantage.
- King answered two shots on goal from Kara Garrett and Cook, but both were turned away in the 53rd minute.
- The Tornado kept trying to get the equalizer, and Bailey Torrez nearly found it in the 75th minute, but her shot went off the crossbar.
- That was the best scoring chance the Tornado had down the stretch, and the Lions found the back of the net again in the 88th minute to take the contest 2-0.
- King ripped 19 shots in the game, placing nine on goal and registered nine corner kicks.
- Drake posted three saves for the Tornado in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Emmanuel placed five of their eight shots on goal and registered two corner kicks.
- Welch posted nine saves to record the shutout in goal for the Lions.
- King returns home on Wednesday when they host Milligan College at 5:00 p.m. at Parks Field.
- Emmanuel next travels to take on Auburn University at Montgomery on Tuesday.