GAFFNEY, S.C. – Facing one of the top teams in Conference Carolinas, and one of the top teams in the country, the King University women's soccer team went on the road to take on #18 Limestone College. The Saints tallied three goals in the first half, and added four more in the second stanza for the 7-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: #18 Limestone 7, King 0
LOCATION: Saints Field; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 4-8, 2-4 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 10-1, 8-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Megan O'Connor made sure the 18th-ranked Saints would start on top, scoring three first half goals to put Limestone ahead.
- Her first tally came in the 12th minute as she took a cross from 25 yards out and ripped a shot to the back post, giving the Saints the advantage.
- She added goals in the 28th and 36th minutes, the first on long pass from the far side where she dribbled and beat the keeper. She then put in a rebound to give Limestone a 3-0 lead at halftime.
- King posted three shots in the first half with the best scoring chance coming in the 26th minute when Miranda Smith placed a shot on goal, but it was turned away.
- Millie Shaw made it 4-0 in the 57th minute when she picked up a ball that was deflected off of the first shot and beat the keeper.
- O'Connor scored her fourth goal of the game in the 78th minute as she dribbled down the middle and lofted a shot over the keeper.
- Limestone added goals in the 80th and 82nd minutes to take the Conference Carolinas affair 7-0.
- The Tornado took seven shots in the game, placing three on goal.
- Nicole Dagher made 14 saves for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Limestone took 33 shots, placing 22 on goal.
- Meredith Bailey made one save in the first half and Paige Renkosik made two saves in the second half.
- King is in action again when they travel to take on Pfeiffer University. Kickoff from Misenheimer, N.C. is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
- Limestone plays at Converse College on Saturday afternoon.