DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University women's soccer team opened Conference Carolinas play in one of the best ways possible, with a road win. The Tornado defeated Erskine College 1-0 on a 77th-minute goal from Catherine Walsh to give Head Coach Leah Presley her first career win.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Erskine 0
LOCATION: Huggins Field; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-2-1, 1-0 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 0-3, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was very defensive on both sides as there were eight total shots taken in the opening stanza.
- King had three shots in the opening half with Walsh placing her attempt on goal in the 37th minute, but the shot was turned away by the Erskine goalkeeper.
- On the other side, the Flying Fleet ripped five shots, putting three on frame, but Olivia Drake stopped them all to keep the game scoreless.
- Erskine threatened in the early going of the second half, taking five shots in the first 10 minutes, two of which were stonewalled by Drake.
- Walsh had another chance in the 58th minute, but the Erskine keeper was again up to the task.
- The Tornado finally broke through in the 77th minute with Miranda Smith laced a shot that was saved, but turned into a corner kick for King.
- Smith took the corner and placed the ball in the middle of the box where Walsh collected and put her shot into the back of the net to give King the 1-0 lead.
- Later in the same minute, Erskine ripped a shot that went off the crossbar.
- Drake then made two more saves the rest of the way to preserve her second consecutive shutout.
- In the contest, Drake posted seven saves.
- King took eight shots in the game, placing six on frame.
FOR THE FOES
- Erskine placed seven of their 15 shots on target.
- Goalkeeper Sara Dooley made five saves for the Flying Fleet.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Prior to the two shutouts this week, King last posted a shutout on September 23, 2015 in a 5-0 win over Milligan College.
- King has posted back-to-back shutouts for the first time since 2014 when the Tornado didn't allow a goal in their first four games.
- For Walsh, the goal was her first of the season and the eighth of her career.
- The win for Presley is the first of her career.
- The Tornado are scheduled to host rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. at Parks Field.
- Erskine travels to Emmanuel College on Wednesday.