MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's soccer team traveled to the University of Mount Olive on Saturday afternoon for a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado found the back of the net twice on Saturday, but it wasn't enough as they fell to the Trojans 4-2.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 4, King 2
LOCATION: Amon Field; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-10-1, 2-7 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 3-10, 2-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive controlled play during the first 25 minutes of the contest as King recorded only two shots during this time.
- The Trojans struck first in the 30th minute of play as they beat goalkeeper Olivia Drake with a near post shot.
- Ten minutes later Mount Olive found the back of the net again with a shot that was hit from the right side of the box and went in back post.
- At the half, King trailed 2-0 and was outshot 10-4. Drake made four big saves in the first half for the Tornado.
- A minute and 17 seconds into the second half, the Trojans scored their third goal of the game to take a 3-0 lead over the Tornado.
- However, King responded quickly with a goal of their own as Reagan Dempsey found the back of the net in the 47th minute with a chip shot over the Mount Olive goalkeeper. Maya Houston recorded the assist on the play.
- The Tornado had a scoring chance in the 65th minute when Miranda Smith ripped a shot off the crossbar.
- In the 75th minute, the Trojans scored their fourth goal of the day to take a 4-1 lead over King.
- King and Mount Olive continued to go back-and-forth until Smith struck a shot from about 30 yards out that beat the Trojan goalkeeper to put King on the board again in the 88th minute.
- The goal by Smith came off of an assist from Houston and brought the Tornado to within two goals. Unfortunately, this score would be the final as King fell 4-2 to Mount Olive.
- Drake recorded six saves for the Tornado.
- Smith scored her first goal of the season for King and Dempsey recorded her second of the year.
FOR THE FOES
- Kendall Blaine and Lauren Mumford each scored two goals for the Trojans.
- The Trojans recorded 18 total shots for the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Smith's goal was her first of the season.
- Houston now leads the team in assists for the season as she recorded two today.
- The Tornado travel to Converse College on Saturday for a 5:00 pm start time.
- Mount Olive heads to Limestone College on Wednesday.