MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. – In what was a tumultuous day for the King University women's soccer team, the Tornado fell to Milligan College 5-2. The contest was originally scheduled to be played at King, but the contest was moved to Milligan after a lightning delay in Bristol.
FINAL SCORE: Milligan 5, King 2
LOCATION: Anglin Field; Milligan College, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-3; Milligan 1-2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Milligan pressured the Tornado defense in the early going before breaking through in the 14th minutes.
- Bekah Cundiff found the back of the net as she took a pass from Alex Thomas to put the Buffaloes ahead.
- The Tornado broke through in the 31st minute on a goal from Morgan Johnson that evened the score.
- The tie was short-lived, however, Ashlen Burch found the back of the net in the 39th minute, giving the lead back to Milligan.
- With 30 seconds remaining until halftime, Lizzie Boone took a free kick for the Tornado. That kick found the back of the net, evening the score at 2-2 at the break.
- Milligan tried to put the game out of reach with a pair of goals in the middle of the second half.
- Cundiff scored again in the 61st minute and Burch made it a two-goal lead five minutes later.
- Poppy Smith added another in the 73rd minute, making the final score 5-2 in favor of Milligan.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Johnson was the first of her career.
- For Boone, the goal was her first of the season and third career tally.
- The Tornado open Conference Carolinas play on Saturday at Emmanuel College. Kickoff from Franklin Springs, Ga., is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Milligan travels to Tennessee Wesleyan University on Saturday.