JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team traveled to Johnson City to take NCAA Division I foe East Tennessee State University on Monday night. The Tornado cut their deficit to 2-1 early in the second half, but the Buccaneers scored the final four goals of the game to take the contest 6-1.
FINAL SCORE: East Tennessee State 6, King 1
LOCATION: Summers Taylor Stadium; Johnson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-8; ETSU 5-7
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ETSU pressured the Tornado in the early going as they had a shot hit the crossbar in the sixth minute.
- The Buccaneers broke through in the 14th minute when Sarah Connolly took a cross from Rachel Harbin and put her shot into the top left corner.
- ETSU hit another crossbar in the 21st minute, and the Tornado offense countered.
- Maggie Olvera ripped a shot that beat the ETSU keeper, but her shot went off the post.
- The Buccaneers stretched their lead to 2-0 in the 36th minute on a goal from Eleonora Goldoni from close range.
- The score remained the same at the half as Hannah Clements came up with her fourth save of the half in the 45th minute.
- King struck first in the second half as Jaida Souvannaraj ripped a shot that was turned away by the ETSU goalkeeper, but Dez Johnson was there to collect the rebound.
- Johnson's shot found the back of the net, cutting the Tornado deficit to 2-1 in the 52nd minute.
- However, the Buccaneers answered with a goal in the 58th minute, stretching their lead to two goals.
- ETSU then tallied a pair of goals in the 71st and 72nd minutes before adding another in the 88th minute to take the contest 6-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- ETSU outshot the Tornado 32-5, placing 16 shots on goal while King had four shots on goal.
- Clements made 10 saves for the Tornado.
- The goal for Johnson was her first career goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Goldoni scored a pair of goals for the Buccaneers.
- Ann Cutshall made two saves in goal for ETSU.
- King stays on the road to take on the University of Mount Olive. Kickoff from Mount Olive, N.C. is slated for 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- ETSU travels to take on Samford University on Friday night.