BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's soccer team in resounding fashion on Tuesday afternoon at Parks Field. The Tornado scored five goals in the second half, including two from Meghan O'Ferral as the Tornado defeated Union College (Ky.) 5-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Union 0
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0, 1-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started pressuring the Bulldog defense early as O'Ferral ripped a shot on frame in the fourth minute, but the shot was turned away.
- Anya Gross and McKenzie Clarke both followed with shots that sailed wide in the opening 10 minutes.
- King placed four more shots on target in the first half, but they all were turned away as the contest went to halftime scoreless.
- The Tornado broke through with two goals in the 51st minute, starting with Meghan Brody. The freshman dribbled down the right side and buried her shot inside the near post, putting the Tornado ahead.
- 15 seconds later, O'Ferral found the back of the net as Brody found her in the box and O'Ferral ripped her shot to the back of the net.
- The score remained the same until the 78th minute when O'Ferral played a through ball to Tyler Feaster, who got behind the defense. Feaster then beat the keeper to extend the King lead.
- Morgan Johnson extended the Tornado lead to 4-0 in the 82nd minute when she got behind the defense and ripped a shot into the back of the net.
- O'Ferral put the finishing touches on the 5-0 victory with another goal in the 89th minute.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King dominated the box score, outshooting the Bulldogs 23-6.
- King also had six corner kicks while holding Union to one.
- Erin Foster made five saves to earn her first career shutout.
FOR THE FOES
- Hailee Hinthorne made nine saves for the Bulldogs.
- Ana Lima and Anna Vila each placed two shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For O'Ferral, the goals are the first two of her career.
- Feaster and Brody also tallied their first career goals.
- Johnson scored her first goal of the season and second of her career.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they host Emmanuel College at 1:00 p.m. at Parks Field.
- Union hosts Reinhardt University on Saturday evening.