SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University earned their first Conference Carolinas win of the season on Saturday on the road at Converse College. McKenzie Clarke scored the game's lone goal on a penalty kick to give King the win.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Converse 0
LOCATION: Fulp Field; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 2-2, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Converse 0-4, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Converse controlled play in the first half, outshooting the Tornado 7-1.
- Both of Converse's shots on goal were turned away by Tornado goalkeeper Erin Foster.
- King's lone shot in the half was on frame by Tyler Feaster in the 18th minute, but it was saved by the Converse keeper.
- The Tornado had a pair of chances early in the second half as Meghan O'Ferral sailed a shot hit in the 52nd minute and Feaster had another shot turned away in the 59th minute.
- The King pressure paid off in the 66th minute when the Converse defense committed a foul in the box.
- Clarke took the penalty kick, and buried her shot into the upper right-hand corner.
- Foster then came up with saves in the 72nd and 86th minute to secure her second shutout of the year, the 1-0 Tornado victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Converse outshot King 13-8, placing four on net while King had five shots on goal.
- Foster made four saves in the game.
FOR THE FOES
- Darian Bankston made four saves in goal for the Valkyries.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Clarke was her second career tally. The other came in the 2017 season.
- King travels to Piedmont International University on Wednesday. Kickoff from Advance, N.C. is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- Converse travels to Barton College on Tuesday evening.