ADVANCE, N.C. – The King University women's soccer team scored early and didn't let up on Wednesday evening at Piedmont International University. The Tornado scored twice in the opening 20 minutes and added another late to take the game 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Piedmont International 0
LOCATION: BB&T Soccer Park; Advance, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-2; Piedmont International 4-4-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King grabbed the lead in the fifth minute when Erin Peters took a pass from Meghan Brody on the left side of the box. Peters buried her shot into the left side of the net, giving King the lead.
- King continued to pressure the Bruins, taking four more shots in over the next 10 minutes.
- Meghan O'Ferral broke through again in the 21st minute when she played a ball from Maya Houston past the goalkeeper to extend the Tornado lead to 2-0.
- Piedmont International countered with a pair of corner kicks and shot, but Celia Patterson turned the attempt away.
- The Bruins then took two more shots and had two more corner kicks over the final 10 minutes of the half, but to no avail as the Tornado lead 2-0 at the break.
- King continued to press in the second half, taking four corner kicks and three shots in the opening 20 minutes.
- The Tornado broke through again in the 83rd minute when Brody fed Maya Houston who ripped a shot into the back of the net, extending the King lead to 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King outshot the Bruins 14-5, taking seven shots in each half.
- The Tornado placed 10 of their 14 shots on frame while the lone shot on goal for the Bruins was turned away in the first half.
- King had the edge in corner kicks as well, taking seven to Piedmont International's five.
- Patterson posts a shutout in her first career game for the Tornado in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Ericka Washburn made seven saves in goal for the Bruins.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goals for Houston and Peters marked the first for each in their careers.
- O'Ferral tallied her third goal of the season.
- The two assists for Broady brings her season total to three.
- King travels to Shaw University on Tuesday. Kickoff from Raleigh, N.C. is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Piedmont International hosts Johnson & Whales University on Wednesday.