WILSON, N.C. - The King University women's soccer team was on the road again on Saturday to take on Barton College. The Tornado could not get their offense going against a stout Bulldog defense. Barton scored goals in each half while keeping King off the board for the 2-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 2, King 1
LOCATION: Bulldogs Athletic Complex; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-4, 1-2 Conference Carolinas; Barton 7-2-1, 5-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldog offense showed aggression early in the first half, as Barton's Olivia Bronson scored a goal in the third minute off her second shot, giving the Bulldogs the early 1-0 lead.
- Bronson had three shots in the first six minutes of the game, including one before her goal that hit the post and another shot after her goal that was high.
- After Barton's first goal, the Bulldogs had six shots in a row and one corner kick before King was able to take their first shot attempt in the 33rd minute.
- Maya Houston had the first scoring chance for the Tornado, but the shot was saved by Kristin Davis.
- Meghan O'Ferral took the last two shots for King in the first half, but one was saved by Davis and the other shot was blocked.
- Barton opened up the second half with four shots in a row, three were off target and one was saved by Erin Foster.
- Bronson took a penalty kick for the Bulldogs in the 54th minute, but it was saved by Foster.
- McKenzie Clarke took the first shot attempt of the second half in the 62nd minute, but the shot was wide.
- In the 79th minute, Barton's Rebekah Beal shot from the box and connected with the net for the Bulldogs' second goal of the match to extend Barton's lead to 2-0.
- The shot came after a beautiful pass that was assisted by Katie Christiansen.
- The Tornado offense couldn't get anything going in the final minutes as the Bulldogs took the game 2-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took five shots, three in the first half and two on frame in the contest
- Foster finished with seven saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Davis made two saves in goal for the Bulldogs.
- King will travel to play Mars Hill University on Wednesday. Kickoff from Mars Hill, N.C. is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
- Barton travels to Southern Wesleyan University on Saturday.