MARS HILL, N.C. – Jaida Souvannaraj and Erin Peters lifted the King University women's soccer team to a come-from-behind win at Mars Hill University. Erin Foster kept the Tornado close, allowing Souvannaraj to even the score in the final minute and Peters to give King the 2-1 win in the 105th minute.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Mars Hill 1 (F/2OT)
LOCATION: Meares Stadium; Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORDS: King 4-4; Mars Hill 1-8-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill controlled play in the opening 45 minutes, outshooting the Tornado 8-6.
- The Lions placed six shots on frame while the lone shot for King was on target.
- In the first 15 minutes, Mars Hill took three shots and earned two corner kicks.
- That pressure paid off in the 19th minute when Sanne Martinsen scored on a free kick on the edge of the box.
- Maya Houston had the first Tornado opportunity in the 33rd minute, but the shot was saved by Victoria Forren, the Lion goalkeeper.
- Foster came up with a pair of saves over the final five minutes to keep the Tornado down 1-0 at the half.
- King tried to turn the field in the second half, holding the Lions to only one shot on goal.
- On the other end of the field, the Tornado placed four shots on frame, the first coming from Megan Brody in the 76th minute.
- Brody had another shot saved in the 81st minute and Meghan O'Ferral had another chance in the 84th minute, but again was saved to keep the Tornado off the scoreboard.
- King broke through with 45 seconds left as Souvannaraj ran on a ball behind the defense and chipped it away from the keeper before placing her shot in the empty net from the top of the box.
- Mars Hill had chances to score in the 94th and 96th minutes, but Foster came up with saves on both occasions to send the contest to a second overtime.
- The Lions had another shot sail high and wide two minutes into the second overtime before King came on a counter-attack.
- Souvannaraj played a ball to the top of the box where Peters beat the goalkeeper to give King the 2-1 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King posted eight shots in the contest, six on frame and earned one corner kick.
- Foster made eight saves to preserve the win.
FOR THE FOES
- Forren made one save for the Lions and Clare Witt made two saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Souvannaraj was her first of the season.
- Peters netted her second goal and second game-winning goal of the season.
- King travels to Belmont Abbey College on Saturday. Kickoff from Belmont, N.C. is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill hosts Anderson University on Saturday.