CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University women's swimming team set a pair of personal records on the third day of the Conference Carolinas Championships, and added another conference champion. Along with the school records, three personal records fell on Friday.
KING RESULTS: 5th of 5
LOCATION: Mecklenburg Municipal Pool; Charlotte, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Macarena Martin Mayor started the day with a school record 400 yard individual medley time of 4:41.94 to take first in the prelims.
- She followed that with another time under the previous school record in the finals.
- Martin Mayor became the second Conference Carolinas champion for the Tornado with a time of 4:42.31, winning the event by six seconds.
- Also early in the day, Jess Vargo set a school record with a 200 yard freestyle time of 1:59.27 to qualify for the finals.
- In the finals, she finished fifth with a time of 1:59.45.
- Haley Carpenter set a personal record in the 100 yard breast stroke with a time of 1:13.90, narrowly missing qualifying for the finals.
- Madison Wisley also set a personal record with 200 yard freestyle time of 2:02.61 to qualify for the finals.
- In the finals, Wisley touched the wall in 2:02.69 to finish eighth.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH
"Another great day as we broke four school records," head coach James Graves said. "Macarena Martin Mayor blew away the field and brought home a second conference championship for the woman's team. Jess Vargo, Tyler Brewster and Cade Martin all had amazing swims en route to breaking more school records. One more day of racing to finish up a great year!"
- The conference championships conclude on Saturday with the prelims starting at 10:00 a.m. and the finals at 5:00 p.m.