BRISTOL, Va. – The King University women's swimming team started their season with a pair of victories on Saturday morning. The Tornado defeated Milligan College 110.50-88.50 and Lees-McRae College 129.00-46.00.
FINAL SCORE: King 110.50, Milligan 88.50; King 129.00, Lees-McRae 46.00
LOCATION: Virginia High School; Bristol, Va.
RECORDS: King 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The quartet of Lynsey Knox, Macarena Martin Mayor, Nicola Mead, and Madison Wisley started the day by winning the 400 yard medley relay with a time of 4:18.20.
- Josie Gunn and Dakota Bastin then scored points for the Tornado in the 1000 yard freestyle with times of 12:31.24 and 13:41.69, respectively.
- In the 200 yard freestyle, Jess Vargo finished second with a time of 2:10.09 while Alexia Autrey finished third at 2:14.30.
- Wisley won the 50 yard freestyle, finishing in 25.90 seconds while Brooke Williams finished fourth at 26.72 seconds.
- Martin Mayor won the 200 yard individual medley by four seconds with a time of 2:24.37.
- Mead followed with a win in the 100 yard butterfly, touching the wall in 1:00.93 to win by seven seconds.
- Wisley came up with another win, this time with a 100 yard freestyle time of 56.62 seconds.
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Knox came in second with a time of 1:08.67.
- Martin Mayor finished second in the 500 yard freestyle, finishing in 5:48.95.
- Vargo came in second in the 100 yard breaststroke as she touched the wall in 1:17.23.
- The 400 yard relay team of Williams, Mead, Autrey, and Vargo finished first with a time of 4:06.83.
"King Swimming strives to get better all the time, and today we competed hard and beat tough Milligan squad that we lost to last year and Lees-McRae team," head coach James Graves said. "Our upperclassmen continue to do a great job leading this young team, and I am pleased with the way we displayed sportsmanship towards our competitors. We will continue to work in the pool to improve our race strategies and conditioning, as well as in the classroom to reach our goal of a 3.25 team GPA."
- King returns to the pool on October 27 when they take on Barton College and William Peace University at the Triangle Aquatic Center in Raleigh, N.C.