CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University women's swimming finished fifth at the Conference Carolinas Swimming Championships, less than one point away from fourth place. The Tornado set two records on the week and had six all-conference performers.
KING RESULTS: 5th of 6 (383)
LOCATION: Mecklenburg Municipal Pool; Charlotte, N.C.
- In the 200 yard backstroke, Macarena Martin Mayor and Jess Vargo finished sixth and seventh with times of 2:13.81 and 2:16.66, respectively.
- Dakota Bastin also set a personal record in the race with a time of 2:32.65.
- Madison Wisley finished fifth in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 54.74 seconds while Brooke Williams finished with a personal record time of 58.23 seconds.
- Martin Mayor finished third in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:29.38.
- In the 200 yard butterfly, Nicola Mead finished runner-up, touching the wall in 2:20.31.
- Alexia Autrey finished eighth in the event with a time of 2:23.22.
- Josie Gunn finished third in the 1650 yard freestyle with a time of 19:12.28.
"Great meet overall for King swimming," said head coach James Graves. "We had some great swims this week and are steadily moving forward as a program. We moved up a place from last year on both the men's and women's side and set 10 team records. We will miss our amazing seniors as we continue to lead, serve and achieve as individuals and a team."
- The 200 yard freestyle relay team of Wisley, Mead, Williams and Vargo set a new school record with a time of 1:40.72.
- Leading off the relay, Wisley set a personal record 50 yard freestyle time of 24.30 seconds.
- Autrey finished the 100 yard butterfly in a personal best time of 1:03.61.
- In the 200 yard freestyle, Williams set a personal record when she touched the wall in 2:09.31.
- Vargo came in with a personal best 100 yard backstroke time of 1:01.59.
- Bastin also set a personal record in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 1:09.38.
- Martin Mayor finished third in the 400 yard individual medley with a time of 4:45.36.
- Mead finished third in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 58.10 seconds.
"Four school records and some gutsy swims from our seniors capped off another great night for King swimming," head coach James Graves said. "Simen Vik's winning time for the 400 individual medley was the first NCAA Division II national B-cut time in program history. Everyone on the team contributed to the team points tonight as well. I'm very proud of our effort tonight!"
- Wisley finished third in the 50 yard freestyle final, touching the wall in a personal best time of 24.39 seconds. She finished only 0.03 seconds behind first place.
- Also in the 50 yard freestyle final, Williams set a personal best with a time of 25.63 seconds.
- In the prelims, Lynsey Knox touched the wall in a personal record 50 yard freestyle time of 26.77 seconds.
- Autrey finished the 200 yard individual medley in a personal record time of 2:24.98.
"Another great night for King Swimming, led by an inspiring swim by senior captain Juan Somoza winning the first ever men's Conference Carolinas championship," head coach James Graves said. "Everyone fought hard tonight and enjoyed competing as a team. I am looking forward to tomorrow and continuing to put up some great swims!"
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Vargo, Martin Mayor, Mead and Wisley finished fifth in a school record time of 1:50.93.
- In the 1000 yard freestyle, Josie Gunn posted a personal best time of 11:28.06, giving her a fourth place finish.