BLUEFIELD, Va. – The King University women's tennis team opened their season over the weekend at the Bluefield College Invitational. The Tornado duo of Vanessa Francois and Lauren Smorgonsky led the way, reaching the doubles consolation final.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Francois and Smorgonsky dropped their first doubles match but came back to reach the consolation final.
- However, the tandem fell to Jaden Acklin and Dakota Tittle of Lees-McRae College.
- In singles play, Francois opened with a come-from-behind win over Acklin 1-6, 6-4, 10-7.
- However, her weekend ended in the consolation semifinals following a pair of defeats.
- Smorgonsky, Isla Bell and Murphy Harr all won their opening matches before falling in the second round.
- Marylin Roustand and Jordyn Karmatz won their second round matches after receiving a bye but fell in the quarterfinals.
- The Tornado are in action again on September 14-16 at the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational.