CHARLESTON, W.Va. – The King University women's volleyball team played their first true road match of the season on Wednesday night at the University of Charleston (W.Va.). The Golden Eagles set the tone early and took the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Charleston 3, King 0 (25-12, 25-23, 25-21)
LOCATION: CACC; Charleston, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 6-8; Charleston 15-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Charleston used an 11-1 run to turn a 4-4 tie in the first set into a 15-5 advantage as the Golden Eagles went on to take the set 25-12.
- King tried to rebound in the second set and grabbed the early lead at 7-5.
- The set was tight the entire way, and King used a 3-0 run sparked by a block from Haley Roe and Ashton Beckner to even the score at 21-21.
- Becca Huddleston followed with a kill and Cathy Scaniffe evened the tally with a service ace.
- However, the Golden Eagles scored three straight points to take the lead and after the Tornado staved off two set points, Charleston took the set 25-23.
- Charleston quickly jumped out to a 7-4 lead in the third set, but King answered with back-to-back points.
- Huddleston evened the score and Roe followed with an ace to give King a 9-8 lead and cap the 5-1 run.
- However, Charleston answered with a 5-1 run to gain a 13-10 advantage the Golden Eagles held the rest of the way.
- King tried to comeback, using a 5-1 run to pull within 18-17, but that was as close as the Tornado would get as the Golden Eagles took the set 25-21 and the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe led King with eight kills while Huddleston followed with six and Beckner chipped in with five kills.
- Roe handed out 19 assists and Amy Serowski accounted for 18 digs to lead the defense.
- Huddleston chipped in with 12 digs on the defensive end.
FOR THE FOES
- Shiann White led the Golden Eagles with eight kills and 20 digs.
- Carly Granger added seven kills to help the offense.
- Kelsey Matusic and Claire Lambert chipped in with 15 and 10 digs, respectively.
- Lambert added 15 assists for the double-double and Chloe Massaro added 10 assists.
- King will be in action again on Saturday when they travel to Lees-McRae College. First serve from Banner Elk, N.C. is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Charleston next travels Urbana University on Tuesday.