MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University rebounded from Friday night's defeat with a resounding 3-0 win at the University of Mount Olive. Tristyn Lozano and Becca Huddleston led the Tornado offense to the Conference Carolinas victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-14, 25-22, 25-15)
LOCATION: Kornegay Gymnasium; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-9, 3-4 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 8-10, 4-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 7-1 run to turn a 5-4 lead into a 12-5 advantage following a Lozano service ace.
- Abby Anderson later gave King a 20-9 lead with another ace as the Tornado went on to take the set 25-14.
- The Tornado had to work out of a deficit in the second set, using a 6-0 run that turned a 15-11 deficit into a 17-15 lead.
- King scored four straight points, highlighted by kills from Lozano and Huddleston, forcing a Trojan timeout.
- Out of the break, Lozano and Emma Carico recorded back-to-back kills that put the Tornado ahead.
- King later scored three straight points, capped by a Lozano kill that put King ahead 24-21. The Tornado went on to take the set 25-22 on a Trojan miscue.
- The Tornado jumped ahead early in the third set and didn't look back.
- Lozano started a 7-0 run with a kill and Cathy Scaniffe ended the spurt with back-to-back service aces, putting the Tornado ahead 20-7.
- The Tornado went on to take the set 25-15 and the match 3-0.
- Huddleston led the Tornado with 13 kills and 12 digs four the double-double.
- Lozano followed with 11 kills and an attack percentage of .435.
- Anderson handed out 33 assists and Amy Serowski led the defense with 22 idgs.
FOR THE FOES
- Britni Johnson led Mount Olive with nine kills and 15 digs.
- Kamber Skeen posted 16 assists and 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Huddleston marks her fifth of the season.
- For Serwoski, she now has five matches with at least 20 digs, including the last two.
- King returns home on Tuesday to face Concord University. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts Chowan University on Tuesday.