BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball took on Belmont Abbey College on Saturday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup. King got down 2-0 early, but stormed back to tie the match 2-2, however, they could not finish off the Crusaders as Belmont Abbey won the match 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 3, King 2 (25-23, 25-14, 26-28, 21-25, 15-11)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-11, 4-5 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 12-8, 7-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a solid start as they spread the ball around and had three different players record three kills in the first set.
- Defensively in the first set, Amy Serowski and Becca Huddleston led the way with four digs each.
- There were multiple lead changes throughout the first set, however, Belmont Abbey edged King to take the set 25-23.
- Huddleston led the King offense in the second set recording four more kills to go along with her three from the previous set.
- However, King struggled in the second set as they recorded a -.061 attack percentage. King fell in the second set 25-14.
- The Tornado really turned it around, however, in the third set as they posted a .278 attack percentage.
- Huddleston led the third set with six kills and Kayley Holtzclaw chipped in five kills to propel the King offense.
- Serowski anchored the Tornado defense once again recording five digs during the set.
- King took the third set 28-26.
- Holtzclaw took charge in the fourth set as she recorded four more kills for the Tornado.
- Huddleston and Serowski ran the defense as they each posted five digs in the set.
- In another back and forth set, the Tornado pulled out a 25-21 victory to force a fifth set.
- Belmont Abbey jumped out to an early lead in the fifth set and King could not come back as they fell in the fifth set 15-11 and match 3-2.
- Huddleston led King with 15 kills and 17 digs.
- Holtzclaw posted 14 kills and an attack percentage of .480.
- Abby Anderson recorded 45 assists and Serowski had 18 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Cassidy Bonito posted a triple-double for the Crusaders with 37 assists, 16 digs, and 10 kills.
- Lydia Sale had 10 kills and 14 digs, recording a double-double on the day.
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy led the way in kills for Belmont Abbey posting 15.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Huddleston recorded her seventh double-double of the year for the Tornado.
- Holtzclaw posted a career high with 14 kills today for King.
- King heads to Lees-McRae College on Tuesday night for a Conference Carolinas matchup starting at 7:00 pm
- Belmont Abbey hosts Winston-Salem College on Wednesday night.