BRISTOL, Tenn. – With Conference Carolinas Tournament seeding on the line, the King University women's volleyball team earned a win over the University of Mount Olive behind a few career nights. Remi Thele led the way offensively for the Tornado, setting a career-best in kills in the 3-1 Tornado victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-15, 25-20, 23-25, 25-19)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-13, 6-7 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 10-17, 5-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense started out by hitting .250 behind four kills and five digs from Becca Huddleston in the first set.
- Abby Anderson served up three straight aces that gave King a 10-3 lead and capped an 8-0 Tornado run.
- Emma Carico recorded three of her five kills in King's 25-15 first set victory that was capped by a Victoria Gause service ace.
- Thele looked to open up the offense in the second set, recording four kills on seven attempts with zero errors.
- She started a 4-1 run with a kill and added another later on the spurt, helping King to the 25-20 victory.
- The Tornado looked to finish the match in the third set as Thele and Huddleston each posted five kills in the set, giving King a 20-12 lead.
- However, the Trojans ended the set on a 13-3 run, taking the set 25-23.
- Amy Serowski found her rhythm at the service line in the third set with three aces and added three more on a 7-0 run in the fourth stanza, helping King to an 8-5 lead.
- With the Tornado lead at 13-12, setter Anderson went to Thele who posted three straight kills, giving King a 16-12 lead.
- Thele later posted the final two kills for King, giving her eight in the final set on 12 attempts with one error as the Tornado took the set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
- In the match, Thele posted 19 kills and hit .351 to lead the Tornado offense.
- Huddleston registered a double-double with 14 kills and 12 digs.
- Anderson handed out 43 assists and added five aces.
- Serowski led the defense with 20 digs to go along with six aces.
FOR THE FOES
- Britni Johnson and Kaitlin Grote led the Trojans with 10 kills each and Cyerra Carter chipped in with eight kills.
- Johnson added 11 digs for the double-double.
- Casey Fiechter led the defense with 17 digs while Kambe Skeen handed out 24 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 19 kills for Thele marks a career-high, topping her previous best of 10 season against Tusculum College.
- Serowski and Anderson both set career-highs in service aces. Anderson with five and Serowski with six.
- Serowski reached the 20-dig mark in a match for the eighth time this season.
- The double-double for Huddleston marked her eighth of the season.
- King hosts Barton College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex. Saturday is also Senior Day.
- Mount Olive travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.