CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team put together one of their best matches at the net on Tuesday night in the Conference Carolinas Tournament quarterfinal at Southern Wesleyan University. However, the Tornado saw their season come to an end as Southern Wesleyan took the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: South No. 2 Southern Wesleyan 3, North No. 3 King 0 (25-17, 25-22, 26-24)
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 11-15; Southern Wesleyan 16-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors grabbed the lead in the match with a strong end to the first set, scoring six of the final seven points.
- Becca Huddleston led the Tornado with four kills in the set, and had a pair in the early going to keep King within 8-7.
- Southern Wesleyan pulled away early in the frame with a 3-0 spurt that turned a 12-10 lead into a 15-10 advantage.
- From there, the Warriors went on to take the set 25-17.
- Southern Wesleyan tried to gain control of the second set with a 3-0 run, giving the Warriors a 12-7 advantage.
- However, Kayley Holtzclaw tried to get the Tornado going with three kills, cutting the Warrior lead to 13-11.
- Later the Tornado got three straight blocks, one by Emma Carico and two from Remi Thele that cut their deficit to 16-14.
- However, the Warriors closed out their 25-22 victory by scoring three of the final four points.
- King got off to a hot start in the third set, taking a 5-1 lead before the set was played tight.
- Late in the set, Huddleston capped a 3-0 King run that evened the score at 19-19 and Holtzclaw gave King a 22-20 lead with a kill, capping a 6-1 spurt.
- However, the Warriors closed the set on a run, scoring six of the final eight points to take the set 26-24 and the match 3-0.
- Huddleston and Holtzclaw led the Tornado offense with nine kills each while Huddleston added eight digs.
- Amy Serowski led the defense with 15 digs while Abby Anderson handed out 29 assists.
- Carico led the Tornado with four blocks, two solo and two assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Katie Anderson led the way for the Warriors with nine kills and 17 digs.
- Annika Jones handed out 26 assists while Shelby Sheets and Paige O'Connor added nine digs apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE