GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team closed play at the South Atlantic Conference-Conference Carolinas Crossover with a split on Saturday evening. The Tornado fell to Mars Hill University 3-1 before bouncing back with a 3-0 victory over host Tusculum University.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 3, King 1 (25-21, 25-21, 19-25, 25-19); King 3, Tusculum 0 (25-21, 25-15, 25-21)
LOCATION: Pioneer Arena; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-4; Mars Hill 3-1; Tusculum 2-2
HOW IT HAPPENED – MARS HILL
- Mars Hill used a 5-0 run in the middle of the set to break at 12-12 tie and gain a 17-12 advantage.
- The Tornado fought back, however, as Julie Ward started a 6-1 run with a kill.
- Georgia Davis pulled King within 22-21 and forced a Lion timeout.
- However, Mars Hill scored the final three points to take the set 25-21.
- The Lions used that momentum to open up a 7-2 lead early in the second set.
- Abby Anderson started a 4-0 run that was capped by a Sydney Pigage ace that pulled the Tornado back within 12-11.
- Mars Hill opened up a 19-13 lead before the Tornado came back again, this time with a 5-0 run, bringing King within 22-21.
- Nevertheless, Mars Hill scored the final three points to take the set 25-21.
- King came out and grabbed a 9-5 lead following consecutive kills from Davis and Tristyn Lozano early in the third set.
- Anderson later gave King an 18-13 lead with an ace in the middle of a 7-2 Tornado spurt.
- The Lions called timeout as King opened up a 22-15 lead, however, the Tornado went on to take the set 25-19 on an Emma Carico kill.
- The Tornado stayed hot as Kayley Holtzclaw gave King a 7-3 lead with a kill early in the fourth set that force a Mars Hill timeout.
- Mars Hill came back to take an 11-9 lead, but King answered with a 4-0 run capped by kills Lozano and Davis that forced another Lion timeout.
- However, the Lions came back and evened the score before scoring 10 of the final 13 points to take the set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led the Tornado with 15 kills and 22 digs for the double-double.
- Anderson also posted a double-double with 34 assists and 12 digs.
- Pigage led the back row with 21 digs while Rebekah Hill and Lozano followed with 15 and 13 digs, respectively.
FOR THE FOES
- Sally Anne Johnson led Mars Hill with 15 kills and added seven digs.
- Sara Pasour handed out 20 assists to go along with nine digs.
- Ully Martins recorded a match-high 30 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 13 digs for Lozano marks a career-high, and her third straight match in double figures.
- For Ward, the double-double is her third straight.
- Anderson posted her second double-double of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED – TUSCULUM
- King jumped on the Pioneers early, taking a 7-3 lead following one of Holtzclaw's five kills in the set.
- Following a 6-0 Tusculum run and Tornado timeout, Lozano got the Tornado back on the board and started a 5-1 run for King.
- Holtzclaw and Lozano teamed up for a block that capped the run, giving King a 19-14 lead and forced a Tusculum timeout.
- The Tornado held their lead there before Davis gave King the 25-21 victory with one of her three kills in the set.
- The Tornado kept the offense rolling in the second set, opening up a 13-9 lead following two kills from Ward and another from Lozano.
- From there, King outscored Tusculum 12-5, taking the set 25-15 on an Anderson kill.
- Tusculum controlled the early part of the third set before back-to-back aces from Victoria Gause vaulted the Tornado into a 13-12 lead.
- Trailing 15-14, King scored four straight points, capped by a Holtzclaw and Ward block.
- The score was again even at 19 before Gause and Ward started a 4-0 run with a block.
- Lozano gave King a chance at match point, and Carico came up with a block, giving King the 25-21 and 3-0 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano and Holtzclaw paced the Tornado offense with 10 and nine kills, respectively.
- Lozano added seven digs and hit .421 while Holtzclaw hit .471.
- Pigage led the defense with 17 digs while Ward followed with 13 digs.
- Hill chipped in with 10 digs and Anderson handed out 32 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Gabby Gray led the Pioneers with eight kills.
- Alyssa Rojas handed out 23 assists and Melissa Mazue registered 21 digs.
- King opens their home schedule on Tuesday when they host UVa-Wise at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.