BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team opened their home schedule with an impressive showing against UVa-Wise. The Tornado used a big run in the first set to set the tone for the 3-0 sweep.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, UVa-Wise 0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-4; UVa-Wise 0-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cavaliers opened up a 7-3 lead early, but King came back with a 4-0 spurt to even the set.
- Julie Ward, Georgia Davis and Abby Anderson then recorded three straight kills to give the Tornado the lead.
- Ward broke a 10-10 tie with a pair of kills and Davis forced a Cavalier timeout with another termination.
- Kayley Holtzclaw started a 5-0 spurt to close the set with a kill, as King took the fame 25-15.
- The second set was tight until Holtzclaw came up with a kill and Rebekah Hill followed with an ace. King scored the next point to take an 18-14 lead.
- The Tornado then scored six straight points as Sydney Pigage gave King a chance at set point with an ace.
- Following a Cavalier point, Ward gave King the 25-16 victory with her fifth kill of the set.
- Hill started 7-0 run that gave King control of the third set. Tristyn Lozano capped the spurt and gave King an 11-4 lead with an ace.
- The Tornado cruised from there as Ward gave King the 25-17 victory for the sweep with another kill.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward paced the offense with 14 kills to go along with nine digs. She also hit .458 in the match.
- Holtzclaw followed with 10 kills and a .400 attack percentage.
- Pigage paced the defense with 18 digs while Lozano chipped in with 10 digs.
- Anderson handed out 34 assists and added five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Matelyn Gibson led the Cavaliers with five kills.
- Morgan Milligan paced the defense with 16 digs while Makayla Ledford followed with 10 digs.
- Ledford added 12 assists for the double-double.
- Both teams travel to Athens, W.Va., to play in the Concord University Tournament. King takes on 2017 Final Four participant and 16th-ranked Gannon University at 10:00 a.m. before take on the host Mountain Lions at 6:00 p.m. on Friday.
- The Tornado then face Kentucky State
- UVa-Wise takes on West Virginia Tech and Gannon on Thursday.