MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team took their first Conference Carolinas win of the season in impressive fashion on Friday night. The Tornado swept the University of Mount Olive behind a balanced attack from Kayley Holtzclaw and Julie Ward.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-16)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-6, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 2-11, 0-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado grabbed the lead early and gradually extended their advantage to 7-3 following kill from Rebekah Hill.
- However, the Trojans started to chip away at their deficit, eventually evening the tally at 18.
- King answered with a 4-0 run to gain separation down the stretch, started by an Abby Anderson kill.
- Remi Thele gave King the 25-20 win and capped the 5-1 spurt that closed the set with one of her five kills in the match.
- Mount Olive had the advantage in the early going of the second set, but the Tornado went on a 5-0 run, capped by a Victoria Gause kill to gain an 11-8 advantage.
- The Tornado stretched their lead to 18-13, but the Trojans came back to even the set at 20 before Holtzclaw responded.
- She got the offense going with a kill before Ward ended the 25-23 win with back-to-back kills.
- That momentum carried over to the third set for King as they opened up a 4-0 lead behind a pair of kills from Thele.
- The lead stayed there before King scored four straight, opening up a commanding 18-11 lead following a Georgia Davis kill.
- King later scored the final five points of the set, taking the frame 25-16 behind a pair of Ward kills.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Holtzclaw paced the King offense with 11 kills and hit .350 in the match.
- Ward matched those 11 kills and added 11 digs for the double-double.
- Anderson handed out 33 assists and added nine digs.
- Sydney Pigage led the defense with 13 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ania Keene led Mount Olive with six kills and eight digs.
- Kamber Skeen handed out 13 assists and Andrea Rivera-Reyes led the defense with 19 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Ward was her sixth of the season.
- King stays on the road to take on Barton College in Wilson, N.C. at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Mount Olive hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.