WILSON, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team traveled to take on Conference Carolinas leader Barton College on Saturday afternoon. In what was a tight match, the Tornado took the third set, but that was it as the Bulldogs came away with a 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 1 (25-23, 25-21, 23-25, 25-22)
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-7, 1-2 Conference Carolinas; Barton 7-11, 4-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King held an early 9-7 lead following a 5-0 run where Remi Thele had a pair of kils and Sydney Pigage served up an ace.
- Barton answered with a 5-0 run to regain the advantage, and they held that lead for the majority of the set.
- The Tornado came back with another 5-0 spurt late in the set to take a 22-19 lead. Pigage had another ace on the run and Thele capped the five straight points with a kill.
- King then led 23-21, but the Bulldogs closed the set with four straight points to steal the frame 25-23.
- The teams traded blows in the early going of the second set with the Bulldogs holding the upper hand.
- Barton scored four straight points late in the set to gain separation and have a chance at set point.
- However, King held off four set points, but Barton eventually took the set 25-21.
- Georgia Davis tried to get the Tornado offense going in the third set with a kill. That kill gave King the upper hand in the early going as the teams went back-and-forth.
- King looked to pull away four straight points, capped by a Thele kill that gave the Tornado a 13-8 lead.
- However, Barton came back with five straight points, evening the tally at 14.
- King had an answer, scoring seven of the next eight points, including four straight started by a kill from Kayley Holtzclaw.
- Barton scored five straight points to pull within 23-22, but head coach Dave Ulrich called for timeout.
- That timeout proved big as the Tornado got a sideout after the break and Thele gave King the 25-23 victory with a kill.
- Barton scored the first four points of the fourth set and opened up an 8-1 lead.
- King worked their way back to get within 13-11 following a 10-5 run, but couldn't get any closer the rest of the way.
- Barton held off a late King rally to take the set 25-22 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Julie Ward led King with 10 kills and 14 digs.
- Thele followed with nine kills.
- Tristyn Lozano posted 11 digs and Pigage followed with 10.
- Abby Anderson handed out 30 assists and added nine digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaytlin Elkins led Barton with 20 kills and 10 digs.
- Allie Cullens and Haley Headley followed with 11 kills each.
- Angelica Acevedo handed out 43 assists and added 15 digs.
- Riley Bane posted 14 digs and Sarah Kirk chipped in with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Ward, the double-double is her seventh of the season.
- King returns home to face Emmanuel College on Friday night. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Barton hosts Chowan University on Tuesday night.