BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing in front of their home fans for the first time in a month, the King University women's volleyball team fell to Emmanuel College in a Conference Carolinas match. The Tornado couldn't get their offense going as the Lions posted 11 blocks in their 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 3, King 0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-16)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-8, 1-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 11-8, 6-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions didn't waste any time grabbing the lead with a 4-1 run to start the contest.
- Emmanuel forced an early King timeout as they grabbed an 8-3 advantage.
- The Tornado tried to fight back, but couldn't get closer than four points for the remainder of the set as Emmanuel took the set 25-17.
- Remi Thele came out and got Tornado on the board in the second set, and Sydney Pigage followed with an ace and give King the lead.
- King stretched their advantage to 9-6 following a pair of Abby Anderson aces. Anderson again gave King a three-point advantage with a kill at 10-7.
- However, the Lions came back with a 9-1 run, taking a 16-11 lead.
- The Tornado couldn't recover as the Lions took the set 25-16.
- Emmanuel scored four straight points to break a 3-3 tie and take command of the third set.
- The Lion block really got going in the third set, accounting for six blocks in the set as they opened up a 16-9 lead following a 7-2 run.
- King didn't have an answer for the Emmanuel block as the Lions took the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Julie Ward led the Tornado with 11 kills and nine digs.
- Anderson handed out 29 assists, had two aces and four digs.
- Tristyn Lozano had six digs and Pigage chipped in with five.
FOR THE FOES
- The Lions, who lead Conference Carolinas in blocking had 11.0 blocks in the match.
- Julie de Blanck led the way with seven blocks, two solo to go along with 10 kills.
- Mia Cotton had five blocks and Mia McKensey added four.
- Stephanie Hardy handed out 32 assists and Aysha Avery posted 13 digs.
- King returns to action on Friday when they host Barton College at 7:00 p.m. The Tornado then host the University of Mount Olive at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Emmanuel travels to take on Auburn University-Montgomery on Tuesday.