BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team played one of their best matches of the year on Friday night in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado swept league-leading Barton College, handing the Bulldogs their first Conference Carolinas defeat of the season.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Barton 0 (25-20, 25-19, 25-22)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-8, 2-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 10-12, 6-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado came to play from the onset, quickly opening up a 4-1 lead following a Georgia Davis kill.
- The teams then traded points until later in the set when King turned a 14-12 deficit into a 17-14 lead with a 5-0 run.
- Tristyn Lozano served up a pair of aces on the run she started spurt with a kill.
- However, following a Barton timeout, the Bulldogs scored four straight points to take the lead before Rebekah Hill evened the tally with a kill.
- King later scored four straight points to have a chance at set point and Julie Ward gave King the 25-20 victory with her fourth kill of the set.
- King didn't slow in the second set as Lozano and Davis teamed up for a block and Abby Anderson followed with an ace.
- The Tornado then went on a 7-1 run, opening up a 9-2 advantage and forcing a Barton timeout.
- Barton fought back to get back within 12-11, but Ward ignited a 7-0 Tornado run with one of her seven kills in the set.
- She posted three more kills and Sydney Pigage added an ace on the spurt that gave King a 19-11 lead.
- King had to fight off a late Barton rally, but Lozano gave King the 25-19 victory with a kill.
- Barton came out in the third set on a mission to extend the match, opening up a 9-4 lead.
- The Bulldogs continued to lead as King called timeout trailing 18-13.
- Barton scored the first point out of the break, but King answered with a run.
- The Tornado pulled within 19-18 and eventually evened the score and took a 21-20 lead.
- The score was knotted at 22 when a service error gave King the lead.
- Ward then came up with back-to-back kills to give King the 25-22 victory and the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led the Tornado with 15 kills and 13 digs. Ward also hit .382, making only two errors on 34 attempts.
- Anderson handed out 27 assists and added 10 digs.
- Lozano added 11 digs, six kills, and five aces.
- Davis chipped in with six kills and hit .385 in the match.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaytlin Elkins led Barton with 12 kills and nine digs.
- Haley Headley followed with 11 kills.
- Angelica Acevedo handed out 17 assists and Sarah Kirk had 11 assists and eight digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Ward, the double-double is her eight of the season.
- The double-double for Anderson is her fifth of the season.
- The five aces for Lozano is a career-high.
- The Tornado are in action again on Saturday when they host the University of Mount Olive at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- The Bulldogs travel to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.