BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team got off to a slow start on Tuesday night in the Student Center Complex against Erskine College, but they came back behind their block. The Tornado nearly posted a season-best in blocks in the 3-1 come-from-behind victory over the Flying Fleet.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Erskine 1 (24-26, 25-18, 25-10, 25-16)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-8, 4-3 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 6-16, 3-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine opened up a 6-1 lead early following a 5-0 run, but the Tornado worked their way back into the set.
- The Tornado used a 5-0 run to take a 21-18 lead following a Tristyn Lozano ace.
- However, the Flying Fleet came back to score eight of the next 11 points to take the set 26-24.
- Georgia Davis led the Tornado back in the second set, posting six kills on nine attempts with zero errors.
- King used a 4-0 run, capped by a block from Lozano and Davis that forced a timeout and gave King a 14-10 lead.
- Another 4-0 spurt gave King a commanding 21-14 lead before Julie Ward started a 3-0 run that ended the set with a kill.
- Davis and Ward teamed up for a block and Davis gave King the 25-18 victory with a kill.
- The third set was decided when the Tornado went on a 10-0 run where Caitlyn Crawford served up four service aces to give King an 18-5 lead.
- Ward later give King the 25-10 victory with one of her four kills in the set.
- Ward, Lozano and Davis wasted no time giving King the lead with three straight kills.
- King gained a 6-0 lead following an Abby Anderson ace.
- The Tornado tried to put the set out of reach with an 8-2 run, capped by a Davis kill that gave King a commanding 19-9 lead.
- Rebekah Hill later gave King the 25-16 with one of her five kills in the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Davis led the Tornado with 15 kills and hit .500 in the match, making only two errors on 26 attempts. She added a team-high five block assists.
- Ward followed with 14 kills and 15 digs for the double-double.
- Lozano added 12 kills and 11 digs for the double-double.
- Anderson handed out 35 assists while Sydney Pigage led the Tornado with 18 digs.
- Crawford posted 15 digs and led King with four service aces.
- Kayley Holtclaw posted five block assists and added six kills.
FOR THE FOES
- Jauhna Smith, Reilly Bartlet and Katy Torgerson led the Flying Fleet with eight kills each.
- Rachel Meyer posted a match-high 24 digs while Maddie Wilson chipped in with 11 digs and 17 assists for the double-double.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Lozano was the first of her career.
- Ward posted her ninth double-double of the season.
- Crawford posted career-highs in digs and aces.
- Davis recorded a career-best with 15 kills.
- The Tornado posted 12.0 blocks, their second most this season.
- King stays at home to take on Southern Wesleyan University on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Erskine travels to the University of Mount Olive on Friday afternoon.