BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team continued their hot play in the Student Center Complex on Friday night. The Tornado again fell behind, but came back with a vengeance over the next three sets to defeat Southern Wesleyan University 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Southern Wesleyan 1 (21-25, 25-12, 25-20, 25-20)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-8, 4-4, Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 7-13, 4-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King looked to gain control of the first set with a 4-0 run that was started by a Julie Ward kill.
- A block from Tristyn Lozano, Kayley Holtzclaw and Rebekah Hill gave King a 13-9 lead and forced a Warrior timeout.
- However, Southern Wesleyan came back with a 7-1 run to take a 16-14 lead before the Tornado tipped the scale back in their favor.
- King later lead 21-19, but Southern Wesleyan scored the final six points to take the set 25-21.
- Abby Anderson started the second set with an ace, igniting a 4-0 spurt.
- King later opened up an 11-3 lead following six straight kills, two from Lozano and two from Hill.
- The Tornado later closed the set on a 7-2 run, evening the match at 1-1 with the 25-12 victory.
- In the set, King hit .417, posting 17 kills on 36 attempts.
- The Tornado didn't slow down in the third set, hitting .316 in the set frame with 16 kills.
- Four straight for the Tornado gave King a 5-2 lead following a Lozano termination.
- Southern Wesleyan then came back and opened up an 18-13 lead before the Tornado started to work their way back.
- The Tornado scored 12 of the next 14 points, capping the 25-20 victory with a 7-0 spurt.
- Back-to-back blocks from Anderson and Holtzclaw and Ward and Holtzclaw gave King the victory.
- Lozano came out firing with back-to-back kills to open the fourth set as King took a 4-0 advantage early.
- Southern Wesleyan tried to cut into their deficit, but could only get within 10-9 before King extended their lead.
- The Tornado answered with consecutive kills from Ward and Holtzclaw before gradually extending their lead the rest of the way.
- Hill eventually gave King the 25-20 win and 3-1 victory with a kill.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward, Anderson and Lozano all posted double-doubles. Ward with 17 kills and 13 digs, Anderson with 15 assists and 10 digs while Lozano posted 11 digs and 19 digs.
- Hill and Holtzclaw followed with 11 ills with Holtzclaw posting six blocks.
- Pigage led the back row with 26 digs and Caitlyn Crawford chipped in with 15 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Olivia Johnson led Southern Wesleyan with 20 kills and 11 digs.
- Annika Jones accounted for 31 assists and eight digs.
- Katie Anderson led the defense with 20 digs and Haley Martin chipped in with 11 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Pigage and Lozano posted career-highs of 26 and 19 digs, respectively.
- Crawford matched her career-high of 15 digs, which she set on Tuesday.
- Hill recorded a career-best 12 kills.
- Holtzclaw's six blocks marked a career-best.
- The double-double for Lozano marks her second straight and second of her career.
- For Ward, the double-double is her 10th of the season and second straight.
- Anderson posted her sixth double-double of the season.
- King hosts North Greenville University on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan hosts UNC Pembroke on Tuesday.