BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team got off to a slow start again on Saturday afternoon against North Greenville University. It appeared the Tornado righted the ship in the second set, but as they did all day, the Crusaders did a good job of closing sets as they came back to take the set and win the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 3, King 0 (25-21, 29-27, 25-21)
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: 13-9, 5-4 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 15-11, 7-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Greenville jumped ahead in the early going and held a 4-1 lead before the Tornado came back to even the set.
- The set was tight throughout until the Crusaders used a 6-1 run to gain a 17-15 advantage.
- North Greenville later broke a 17-17 tie with three straight points and opened up a 23-18 advantage.
- Abby Anderson pulled King back within 23-21, but it wasn't enough as the Crusaders took the set 25-21.
- Rebekah Hill started the second set with consecutive kills and Tristyn Lozano gave King a 5-0 lead with an ace as it looked like the Tornado offense found their rhythm.
- The Tornado lead grew to 18-10 following a Julie Ward kill before the Crusaders started to work their way back.
- North Greenville scored six straight points to take a 23-22 lead before a pair of Tornado points put King back on top.
- The Crusaders answered with back-to-back points to regain the advantage and the Crusaders eventually score consecutive points to take the set 29-27.
- King came out and tried to gain control early as Lozano posted consecutive kills that put King ahead 8-5.
- However, North Greenville erased their deficit with four straight points to take a 14-12 lead.
- The Tornado came back to take a 21-19 lead following a block from Anderson and Georgia Davis, but the Crusaders then closed the set on a run.
- North Greenville scored the final six points, taking the set 25-21 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Anderson posted her second straight double-double and seventh of the season with 24 assists and 12 digs.
- Ward and Lozano led the King offense with nine kills each.
- Ward led the King defense with 18 digs while Lozano added 14.
- Sydney Pigage added 16 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Katie McManaway led North Greenville with 12 kills and 12 digs for the double-double.
- Eaden Shockley posted a double-double with 18 assists and 13 digs.
- Whitley Kahler registered a match-high 27 digs.
- King hosts Belmont Abbey College on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- North Greenville next hosts the University of Mount Olive on Friday night.