BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team came away with a 3-0 win over Lees-McRae College in their final home match of the season on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado played well on both sides of the net, being led by a career-high in digs from senior Angela Boudavong.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 0 (25-17, 25-22, 25-20)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-10, 6-5 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 7-19, 3-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae got off to a hot start, forcing a King timeout as they took a 5-1 lead.
- Trailing 12-8, Kayley Holtzclaw ignited the Tornado offense with her first of five kills in the match.
- That kill started a 7-0 run that vaulted King into a 15-12 advantage.
- The Tornado held their lead there and closed the set on a 3-0 run as Georgia Davis gave King the 25-17 victory.
- The Bobcats again started with the advantage, opening up a 12-7 lead following an ace.
- King chipped away at their deficit before a 6-0 run started by a Julie Ward kill launched the Tornado into the lead.
- The spurt was capped by a block from Abby Anderson and Holtzclaw, giving King a 19-18 lead.
- King again closed the frame on a 3-0 run, this time finished off with a Boudavong ace that gave the Tornado the 25-22 win.
- King tried to set the tone early in the third set, opening up a 5-1 advantage following a Rebekah Hill kill.
- The teams then went back-and-forth before the Tornado broke a 17-17 tie with an 8-3 run to finish the match.
- A block from Davis and Anderson started the run before Tristyn Lozano gave King the 25-20 victory to take the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Boudavong led the Tornado defense with a career-high 16 digs.
- Ward and Hill paced the offense with 13 and 10 kills, respectively. Each posted eight digs in the match.
- Anderson posted 40 assists and eight digs.
- Lozano chipped in with nine kills and 13 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Caitlyn Smirne led the Bobcats with nine kills and 11 digs.
- Megan Gallion handed out 24 assists while Lexi Zangari chipped in with 10 digs.
- The teams meet again on Tuesday in Banner Elk, N.C. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.