BANNER ELK, N.C. – In their second straight match against Lees-McRae College, the King University women's volleyball team set the tone early. The Tornado took the first set 25-9 as they went on to sweep the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 0 (25-9, 25-22, 25-22)
LOCATION: Williams Gym; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 15-10, 7-5 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 7-20, 3-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take long for the Tornado to get going as they rolled off an 11-0 run to open up a 13-4 advantage.
- Tristyn Lozano had three kills on the spurt and Sydney Pigage served up an ace.
- The Tornado then closed the set on an 8-2 run, taking the 25-9 victory on a Kayley Holtzclaw kill.
- The Tornado continued the streak, opening the second set with four straight points, capped by a block from Lozano and Brittney Ramsey.
- Lees-McRae came back to take a brief 12-11 lead before Lozano started a 4-0 run with a kill.
- Following four straight points from the Bobcats, King scored six consecutive points and Ramsey and Abby Anderson posted consecutive kills to give King a 23-18 lead.
- The Bobcats tried to come back, but Lozano gave King the 25-22 victory with another kill.
- The third set was tight as the teams traded 3-0 runs in the middle of the set and Lees-McRae later held a 16-14 lead before the Tornado closed the set with a pair of runs.
- King scored four-of-five points to gain the lead before scoring five of the final six points of the 25-22 victory.
- Remi Thele gave King the win with one of her four kills in the match.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano led King with eight kills and posted a .353 attack percentage.
- Julie Ward added eight kills to go along with 12 digs.
- Anderson handed out 37 assists and Pigage accounted for 14 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Caitlyn Smirne led Lees-McRae with 10 kills and 10 digs.
- Megan Gallion posted 22 assists and 13 digs.
- King travels to Limestone College on Friday night. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae travels to Barton College on Friday night.