GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team got off to a hot start at Limestone College on Friday night. The Tornado took the first two sets, won the match 3-1 following a hiccup in the third set.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 1 (25-16, 25-11, 22-25, 25-19)
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 16-10, 8-5 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 12-12, 9-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a hot start in the opening set, using a 5-0 run to break a tie and take a 9-4 lead.
- Tristyn Lozano had a pair of aces on the run that forced a Saint timeout.
- A pair of aces from Julie Ward and a block from Kayley Holtzclaw and Lozano stretched the Tornado advantage to 16-9.
- King held their lead there before closing the 25-16 victory on a 4-0 run capped by an Abby Anderson ace.
- Anderson started the second set the same way, with an ace and Holtzclaw gave King a 5-0 lead with a kill.
- Later a 5-0 run extended the King lead to 17-9 following a Ward kill.
- King then scored five of the final six points as a Lozano kill gave King the 25-11 victory.
- The third set was tight, but King held a 19-17 lead following consecutive kills from Holtzclaw and Ward.
- However, the Saints came back and evened the score at 22 with a point that started a 4-0 run.
- Limestone scored the final four points of the 25-22 win, sending the contest to a fourth set.
- The fourth set just as close as the third, with King going ahead by two points, but Limestone answering each time to even the score.
- King finally broke that streak with a 4-1 run to take a 17-14 lead following back-to-back kills from Georgia Davis and Rebekah Hill.
- The Tornado later scored three straight points before closing the set on a 3-1 run, taking the set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hill led King with nine kills and added 16 digs while Lozano posted eight kills, 11 digs and five blocks.
- Holzclaw hit .400 with seven kills and eight blocks.
- Anderson handed out 31 assists and 11 digs for the double-double.
- Sydney Pigage led the King defense with 20 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Madeline Yeager led Limestone with nine kills while KayCee Tessitore and Madyson Lousignont followed with eight kills each.
- Tessitore added 14 digs while Victoria Norwood accounted for 11 digs.
- Mia Bergan handed out 32 assists and chipped in with 10 digs.
- Erin Kennedy led the Saints with 18 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The eight blocks for Holtzclaw marked a career-high.
- The double-double for Anderson was her eighth of the season.
- King stays on the road to take on Converse College on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Limestone will be in action on Tuesday in the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship.