SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team closed the regular season with a well-rounded effort to defeat Converse College 3-1. The Tornado posted four double-doubles in the match and had four players reach double figures in kills.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Converse 1 (25-22, 25-17, 20-25, 27-25)
LOCATION: Hannah Gymnasium; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 17-10, 9-5 Conference Carolinas; Converse 7-26, 2-13 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado fell behind early, but gradually worked their way back to even the score at 8-8 in the middle of a run.
- Rebekah Hill started the 5-0 spurt with a kill before a block from Georgia Davis and Julie Ward gave King an 11-8 lead.
- King gradually extended their lead before having to hold off a late Converse rally.
- The Valkyries pulled within 24-22, but Tristyn Lozano came up with a kill to give King the 25-22 victory.
- The Tornado came out and quickly grabbed the lead in the second set, opening up a 7-3 advantage following a Lozano ace and kill from Hill.
- The King lead grew to 17-6 following a block from Lozano and Kayley Holtzclaw.
- Another block from Ward and Holtzclaw gave King the 25-17 victory.
- Converse turned the momentum in the third set, opening up a 13-4 advantage in the early going.
- The Tornado tried to mount a comeback, but couldn't get any closer than eight as the Valkyries took the set 25-15.
- King turned a one-point deficit into a 12-6 advantage with a 7-0 run started by a Ward kill.
- However, the Valkyries chipped away at their deficit and eventually evened the score at 14 following an 8-3 run.
- The teams went back-and-forth until King tried to gain separation with three straight points, vaulting the Tornado into a 22-20 lead.
- Converse came back to even the score at 24 and 25 before Davis gave King another chance at set point with a kill.
- Holtzclaw then came up with a kill for the Tornado, giving King the 27-25 and 3-1 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano paced the offense with 15 kills and added 14 digs for the double-double.
- Hill followed with 13 kills and 17 digs.
- Ward also posted a double-double with 12 kills and 15 digs.
- Anderson handed out 50 assists to go along with 15 digs.
- Davis chipped in with 11 kills.
- Sydney Pigage led the defense with 25 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ansley Hodge led Converse with 13 kills while Morgan Pearson followed with 11 kills and 15 digs.
- Lauren Tharrington led the Valkyries with 41 assists and Sydney Allen led the defense with 23 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Lozano is her fourth of the season, and her 15 kills is one off of her career-high of 16.
- Anderson reaches the 50-assist plateau for the second time this season and posts her 10th double-double of the season.
- Hill posts her first career double-double and matches a career-best with 17 digs.
- Ward recorded her 12th double-double of the season.
- King earned the third seed in the Conference Carolinas North Division and will travel to south division second seed North Greenville University on Tuesday night.
- All of the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship quarterfinal matches will start at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday night.