TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team got off to a slow start in their Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship quarterfinal match at North Greenville University. The north division third seed Tornado dropped the first two sets to south second seed North Greenville, but came storming back to take the match 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 2 (16-25, 19-25, 25-21, 25-16, 15-12)
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 18-10; North Greenville 18-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King held the lead in the early going as Tristyn Lozano gave King a 5-2 advantage with a kill that capped a 3-0 spurt.
- However, North Greenville later went on an 8-1 run to take a 12-8 lead.
- The Crusaders gradually extended their lead, eventually taking the set 25-16.
- The second set was tight in the early going before North Greenville scored 9-of-10 points, including a 4-0 run and 5-0 run to take a 20-13 lead and force a King timeout.
- King later scored four straight points, capped by a Kayley Holtzclaw block, but it was enough as the Crusaders took the set 25-19.
- Both teams used big runs early in the third set with King taking a lead, but the Crusaders coming back to take a 7-6 advantage.
- Back-to-back kills from Lozano broke a tie at 11 and gave the Tornado the advantage.
- The Tornado didn't look back as they used three different 3-0 spurts to gain separation from the Crusaders.
- Remi Thele gave King the set 25-21 with a kill.
- King looked to even the match in the fourth set, going on a 6-0 run that opened up a 10-3 advantage.
- Abby Anderson, Julie Ward and Holzclaw started the spurt with kills and Holzclaw ended it with a block.
- King gradually extended their lead before Lozano gave King the 25-16 victory sending the match to a fifth and decisive set.
- North Greenville got off to a hot start in the fifth set, taking a 5-1 lead.
- However, King came storming back as Georgia Davis started a run with a kill.
- Holtzclaw and Ward added two kills each before a Davis ace forced a North Greenville timeout with King lead 9-5.
- The teams then traded points and the Tornado held a 13-12 lead before Lozano gave King a chance at match point.
- Sydney Pigage served up an ace, giving King the 15-12 win, taking the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward paced the King offense with 15 kills and 23 digs.
- Lozano followed with 12 kills and 12 digs while Holtzclaw chipped in with 11 kills and hit .308.
- Thele played in three sets and chipped in with eight kills.
- Anderson handed out 46 assists and added 10 digs.
- Pigage led the Tornado defense with 23 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Emma Pepper led North Greenville with 13 kills while Courtney Williamson followed with 12 kills.
- Katie McManaway chipped in with 10 kills.
- Eaden Shockley posted 22 assists and 14 digs, and Sara Miller added 24 assists and 17 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano posted her fifth double-double of the season.
- The double-double for Anderson is her 11th of the year.
- Ward recorded her 13th double-double of the season.
- King the third seed in the Conference Carolinas North Division advances to take on the north division's top seed, Belmont Abbey College in a Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship semifinal.
- The match will take place at Emmanuel College on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga.