HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team got off to a hot start, taking the first set from Carson-Newman University on Friday afternoon. However, the Eagles came back to win the final three sets and the match 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 3, King 1 (17-25, 25-19, 25-15, 25-16)
LOCATION: Mars Gymnasium, Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Carson-Newman 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a hot start, taking a 5-1 lead behind a pair of kills from Julie Ward and one from Tristyn Lozano.
- However, the Eagles answered with six straight points to gain their first lead of the contest.
- A 5-0 Tornado spurt, started by a Ward kill gave King the lead. On the run, Ward served up a pair of aces as the Eagles took a timeout.
- A Brittney Ramsey kill gave the serve to Lozano, Conference Carolinas' most potent server in 2019, with King leading 22-17.
- Lozano registered an ace, giving King a chance at set point before Remi Thele gave King the 25-17 victory.
- The Eagles took the lead early in the second set, but the Tornado came back and evened the score at seven on a Ward kill.
- Kayley Holtzclaw gave King an 11-9 lead with a kill before the Eagles scored six of the next eight points to take a 15-13 lead.
- Lozano pulled the Tornado within 17-16 with a kill, but Carson-Newman closed the 25-19 win with an 8-3 spurt.
- The third set was tight early on, but the Eagles gradually pulled away in the middle of the set.
- Carson-Newman used a 9-3 run to open up a 16-9 lead before a Georgia Davis kill.
- The Eagles then scored nine of the final 16 points to take the set 25-15.
- Carson-Newman continued with the momentum in the fourth set, opening up a 7-1 lead in the early going.
- Davis tried to ignite a Tornado rally with a kill as king scored eight of the next 12 points to pull within 12-10 following a Lozano kill.
- However, the Eagles pulled away again, starting with a 3-0 spurt.
- The Tornado couldn't get any closer as the Eagles took the set 25-16.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 15 kills and 19 digs.
- Pigage paced the defense with 22 digs.
- Lozano added eight kills and 10 digs while Holtzcalw chipped in with seven kills.
- Keri Ricker led the Tornado with 22 assists and Hannah Rogers followed with 10 helpers.
FOR THE FOES
- Megan Oldenberger led Carson-Newman with 16 kills and 16 digs.
- Marnie Streeter followed with 14 kills and seven digs.
- Morgan Ballard led the defense with 28 digs and Elen Vazquez handed out 20 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ward posted her first double-double of the season and 15th of her career.
- King returns to Harrogate to face Mars Hill University at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday before taking on hosts Lincoln Memorial at 5:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman takes on USC Aiken on Friday evening.