HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball took on Mars Hill University in their second match of the Lincoln Memorial Tournament on Saturday morning. The Lions played well, defeating King 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 3, King 0
LOCATION: Mars Gymnasium, Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Mars Hill 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill got off to a hot start in the opening stanza, taking a 12-3 lead before a Rebekah Hill kill.
- A block from Allie Zimmerman and Brittney Ramsey later completed the 3-0 Tornado spurt.
- The Tornado gradually worked their way back, eventually using a 6-0 run to pull within 17-16.
- A block from Victoria Gause and Emma Carico started the 4-0 spurt before a Lion timeout. King then scored two points out of the break, one on a Julie Ward ace.
- However, the Lions then outscored King 7-2, closing out the 25-19 victory.
- Mars Hill scored five straight points to open up a 9-2 advantage in the second set.
- This time, the Lions didn't look back, taking the set 25-15.
- The third set was tight in the early going as King played the Lions point-for-point as the score was tied a nine.
- However, Mars Hill scored five of the next six points, forcing a King timeout with the Tornado trailing 14-10.
- King came back and pulled within 14-13 on a Hannah Rogers ace, but the Lions responded with three straight points to extend the lead.
- The Tornado couldn't make another run, and the Lions scored six of the final seven points to take the set 25-16.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led the Tornado with six kills and 16 digs.
- Caitlyn Crawford also posted 16 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Sarah Goddard led Mars Hill with 13 kills while Kamya Latson followed with 10.
- Ully Martins posted 25 digs while Makaila Vang added 13 digs.
- Sara Pasour handed out 22 assists and added 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 16 digs for Crawford marks a career-high, topping her previous best of 15 that was set twice a season ago.
- King takes on host Lincoln Memorial University at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday evening.
- Mars Hill faces USC Aiken at 3:00 p.m.