HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team broke into the win column on Saturday evening, topping regional rival Lincoln Memorial University 3-0. The first set went to extra points, but the Tornado took the final two sets, giving head coach Ryan Booher his first career win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lincoln Memorial 0
LOCATION: Mars Gymnasium, Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Lincoln Memorial 0-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lincoln Memorial controlled play in the early going, opening up an 11-7 advantage before the Tornado started to work their way back.
- Julie Ward pulled the Tornado even with the Railsplitters at 15 with a kill as King went on an 8-4 run.
- The Railsplitters responded, extending their lead back to 21-17, but the Tornado had an answer.
- The Tornado rolled off five straight points, started by a Kayley Holtzclaw kill.
- Brittney Ramsey and Tristyn Lozano teamed up for a block that gave King a 22-21 advantage.
- King held the advantage as the teams traded points until the Tornado scored back-to-back points to take the set 27-25.
- Lincoln Memorial got off to a hot start again, opening up a 4-1 lead in the second set.
- The Tornado answered with a 6-2 lead to take a 7-6 advantage following a Lozano ace and Ward kill.
- With the score even at 10, the Tornado began to pull away with three 3-0 spurt, in all a 9-3 run.
- Ward capped the run with a kill, giving King a 19-12 lead.
- The Tornado closed the set with four straight points, taking the set 25-15.
- Ward kick-started the King offense in the third set, and added an ace as the Tornado took a 3-0.
- The King lead grew to 15-11 following a Georgia Davis kill before the Railsplitters started to work their way back.
- Lincoln Memorial went on a 6-1 run, evening the score at 17 before Remi Thele and Ramsey came up with a block.
- That block ignited a 5-0 Tornado run as the duo ended the spurt that put King ahead 22-17 with another block.
- King had a chance a match point and Ward came up with the termination, giving King the 25-21 victory for the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 17 kills and added seven digs.
- Lozano followed with 10 kills and nine digs.
- Sydney Pigage also accounted for nine digs.
- Ramsey led the Tornado block with five assisted stuffs.
- Keri Ricker and Hannah Rogers handed out 19 assists apiece. Ricker posted six digs and Rogers had five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Yileen Ng he led Lincoln Memorial with 13 kills and four digs.
- Lindsey Nartker posted eight digs and Emily Walter handed out 30 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The five blocks for Ramsey marks a career-high.
- The win gives Booher his first victory at the helm of the women's program.
- King returns to action again on Friday at the Jaguar Rumble hosted by Augusta University. The Tornado will take on Albany State University at 4:30 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts Tusculum University on Friday evening.