MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball bounced back from their five-set defeat on Friday night with a four-set win at the University of Mount Olive on Saturday afternoon. After splitting the first two sets, the Tornado won the final two sets for the 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-10, 23-25, 25-21, 25-16)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-5, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 1-4, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense got off to a hot start, hitting .500 in the opening set, accounting for 16 kills on 28 attempts against just two errors.
- King scored eight straight points early in the set to open up an 8-1 lead.
- On the run, King got an ace from Julie Ward and kills from Georgia Davis, Tristyn Lozano and Kayley Holtzclaw.
- King later scored seven straight points, opening up a 20-7 advantage. Rebekah Hill served up a pair of aces and Brittney Ramsey came up with a kill on the spurt.
- Ward then capped a 4-0 that ended the 25-10 win with a kill.
- The teams went back-and-forth in the start of the second set as King looked to gain control with a 4-0 run.
- The spurt put the Tornado ahead 10-8 following a Hannah Rogers ace.
- However, Mount Olive answered with five straight points, regaining a 13-10 lead.
- The Trojans then opened up a 17-13 lead before King started to chip away.
- King pulled within one on numerous occasions, but the Trojans answered each time, eventually taking the set 25-23.
- King looked to regain their momentum at the beginning of the third set, scoring six of the first seven points with a pair of 3-0 runs. Davis had a pair of kills and block on the spurt.
- Mount Olive came right back with a 6-0 run, vaulting the Trojans into a 7-6 lead.
- The Tornado later broke a tie at 16 with four straight points. Ramsey accounted for one kill and Lozano added two kills on the run that put King ahead 20-16.
- The teams then traded points until the Tornado took the set 25-21.
- Mount Olive jumped out to an early 5-1 lead in the fourth set, but Lozano ignited the Tornado offense with a kill.
- That kill sparked a 7-0 run that gave King an 8-5 lead and forced a Mount Olive timeout.
- However, the Trojans came back to even the score before King broke the tie.
- Six straight points, started by a kill from Ramsey before Holtzclaw and Ward came up with a block to force another Trojan timeout.
- King scored the first point out of the break to take a 16-10 lead.
- The Tornado used another 5-0 to take a 23-13 lead before taking the set 25-16 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward posted her fourth double-double of the season with 14 kills and 17 digs.
- Lozano matched ward with 14 kills and added five digs.
- Ramsey hit .538 with eight kills and four blocks.
- Sydney Pigage added 16 digs.
- Keri Ricker recorded her second double-double in as many games with 38 assists and 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Amara Eziakonwa led the Trojans with 17 kills.
- Mia Dietz handed out 15 assists and added 10 digs.
- Jimnelly Del Valle led the defense with 17 digs.
- King plays their first home game of the season on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex when they take on Elizabeth City State University.
- Mount Olive hosts Fayetteville State University on Tuesday night.