BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team played their first home match of the season and earned a resounding 3-0 win over Elizabeth City State University. The Tornado pulled away late in the first and third sets while gaining the advantage early in the second set en route to the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Elizabeth City State 0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-23)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-5; Elizabeth City State 1-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a slow start as the Vikings took an early 4-0 lead.
- King worked their way back and eventually evened the score at six before the teams started to trade points.
- The Vikings opened up an 11-8 lead before Emma Carico ignited the Tornado offense with a kill.
- King scored six straight points, taking a 14-11 lead following another Carico kill.
- The Tornado held the lead, and a block from Victoria Gause and Remi Thele gave the Tornado a 21-15 advantage and forced a Viking timeout.
- King then outscored Elizabeth City State 4-3 down the stretch to take the set 25-18.
- King started the second set on the attack, scoring the first five points. Keri Ricker served up an ace and Rebekah Hill posted a pair of kills to end the spurt.
- Thele later posted another kill that gave King an 11-1 lead and forced a Viking timeout.
- The Tornado continued to extend their lead before Allie Zimmerman gave King the 25-13 win with one of her two kills in the match.
- An ace from Caitlyn Crawford and kill from Tristyn Lozano gave King a 6-2 lead and capped a 5-0 Tornado run.
- The Vikings worked their way back and used a 5-0 to turn an 18-15 deficit into a 20-15 lead and force a King timeout.
- Lozano came up with a kill out of the break and Gause later started a 4-0 Tornado run.
- Hill gave King a chance at set point before Georgia Davis and Kayley Holtzclaw teamed up for a block to give King the set 25-23 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano led King with 11 kills and 12 digs.
- Hill followed with seven kills and 13 digs.
- Holtzclaw posted five kills and five blocks.
- Crawford added 12 digs.
- Ricker handed out 19 assists and added nine digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaylee Williams led the Vikings with seven kills and 11 digs.
- Chayse Tyler and Jahera Dangerfield posted 12 digs each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Lozano was her fourth of the season.
- King stays at home to face Tusculum University on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Elizabeth City State next takes on Lincoln University (Pa.) on October 2 at home.