CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team went on the road and took a resounding Conference Carolinas victory on Tuesday night. The Tornado came away with a 3-0 win at Southern Wesleyan University behind double-doubles from Tristyn Lozano and Julie Ward.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Southern Wesleyan 0 (25-20, 25-15, 25-20)
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 6-5, 2-1 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 1-12, 0-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern Wesleyan gained a 5-2 advantage in the early going following a 5-0 run.
- However, King came back and used a 4-0 run to take a 12-9 lead. A kill from Ward ended the spurt and forced a Warrior timeout.
- Five straight Southern Wesleyan points later gave the Warriors a 15-13 lead before the Tornado responded again.
- With the score knotted at 19, King rolled off four straight points as a Caitlyn Crawford ace gave King a 23-19 lead.
- Ward then came up with a kill and Keri Ricker gave the Tornado the 25-20 win with her first kill of the match.
- Georgia Davis ignited a 4-0 spurt in the second set with a kill as the Tornado jumped out to a 5-1 lead.
- King later used a 7-1 to gain a 12-3 lead following a Ward kill.
- The Tornado later closed the set on a 7-3 run, including four straight to take the set 25-15.
- Southern Wesleyan jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the third set, but the Tornado came storming back with five straight points to take the lead.
- Brittney Ramsey capped the spurt with a block and a kill, putting the Tornado ahead 7-6.
- King later scored four straight points on a kill from Ramsey and three consecutive terminations from Lozano to take a 17-16 lead.
- Lozano later gave King a 20-17 lead with an ace that forced a Warrior timeout.
- Out of the break, King scored three straight points before Ward gave King the 25-20 victory with a kill.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano led the Tornado with 11 kills and 11 digs while Ward posted 10 kills and 14 digs.
- Ricker accounted for 28 assists, six digs and three kills.
- Sydney Pigage led the defense with 16 digs while Crawford posted 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Amber Bass led Southern Wesleyan with 11 kills.
- Darby Sheets posted nine kills, 10 assists and 13 digs.
- Kali Letcher handed out 13 assists and Jesse Soles recorded 18 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Lozano, the double-double is her fifth of the year while Ward posted her sixth double-double of the season.
- King travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday. First serve from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan hosts Emmanuel College on Friday night.