BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team traveled to take on rival Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado fell behind but fought back to force a fifth set. However, the Bobcats took the set 15-11 to defeat King 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 3, King 2 (25-18, 25-21, 18-25, 23-25, 15-11)
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-6, 2-2 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 4-10, 2-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado looked to gain control of the match with a 4-0 spurt in the early going. Tristyn Lozano put King ahead 8-5 with an ace to end the run.
- However, the Bobcats used their own 4-0 run to take a lead and continued to push points, opening up a 16-10 advantage.
- King couldn't make another run as the Bobcats took the set 25-18.
- King held the advantage in the early going, eventually using three straight points to take a 14-11 lead.
- The spurt was started by a block from Kayley Holtzclaw and Remi Thele that broke a tie.
- Lees-McRae later went on a 6-1 run, turning a 16-13 deficit into a 19-17 lead before Holtzclaw came up with a kill for the Tornado.
- King evened the set at 20 following a block from Holtzclaw and kill from Thele, but the Bobcats closed the set on a run.
- Lees-McRae scored five of the final six points to take the set 25-21.
- Lozano gave the Tornado a 4-2 lead early in the third set with a kill.
- The set was tight until a Holtzclaw kill sparked a 5-1 spurt that put the Tornado ahead 16-11.
- King continued to hold the lead and scored the final four points to take the set 25-18.
- The Bobcats looked to end the match in the fourth set, jumping out to a 12-3 lead
- King chipped away at the deficit before Julie Ward ignited the Tornado offense with a kill that pulled the Tornado within 17-13.
- A block from Holtzclaw and Thele later evened the score at 17 before Thele put King ahead 19-18 with a kill.
- A Caitlyn Crawford ace put the Tornado ahead 22-20 and forced Lees-McRae to call for a timeout.
- King scored the first two points out of the break before Ward gave King the 25-23 victory with a kill.
- Lees-McRae held a slight advantage early in the final set as Ward evened the tally at nine with a kill.
- However, the Bobcats scored four straight points to gain separation at 13-9.
- A block from Holtzclaw and Thele and a kill from Thele pulled the Tornado back within 13-11.
- Nevertheless, Lees-McRae took a timeout and scored the final two points to take the set 15-11 and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ricker paced the offense with 46 assists to go along with 24 digs.
- Lozano led the Tornado with 16 kills and added 14 digs and four aces.
- Thele followed with a season-high 12 kills while Holtzclaw matched a season-high with 10 kills to go along with six blocks.
- Sydney Pigage paced the back row with 26 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Abby Wordsworth led Lees-McRae with 16 kills and nine digs.
- Caitlyn Smirne posted 12 kills and 19 digs while Anaya Govindji added 10 kills.
- Megan Gallion handed out 30 assists and added 13 digs.
- Kaitlyn Arentz led the back row with 24 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ricker set career-highs with 46 assists and 24 digs.
- She also posted her fifth double-double of the season.
- The double-double for Lozano is her sixth of the year and second in as many matches.
- King is in action again on Friday at Barton College. First serve from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae travels to Chowan University on Friday night.