WILSON, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team ran into a stout Barton College defense on Friday night. The Tornado couldn't get their offense going as the Bulldogs took the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-17)
LOCATION: Beddingfield HS; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-7, 2-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 6-6, 3-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening set was tight early until Barton scored four straight points to open up a 10-5 lead.
- From there, the Bulldog defense was too much, allowing the Tornado to score back-to-back points only once the rest of the set.
- The Bulldogs gradually extended their lead, taking the set 25-14.
- Barton gained separation in the second set with a 4-1 to take a 10-6 advantage.
- The Tornado fought back and pulled within 11-10 following a block from Georgia Davis and Kayley Holtzclaw.
- However, King could not get back to even in the set as the Bulldogs had an answer every time the Tornado pulled within one point.
- Barton then scored the final five points to take the set 25-19.
- Emma Carico and Julie Ward gave King a 9-7 lead with kills in the third set, but the Bulldogs came back.
- Barton scored three straight points to take the lead and another 3-0 spurt extended the Bulldog advantage to 15-11 and forced a King timeout.
- As it was in the first set, the Barton defense was too stout for the Tornado offense, not allowing King to score back-to-back points down the stretch, taking the set 25-17 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with nine kills and eight digs while Tristyn Lozano added six kills and six digs.
- Keri Ricker posted 25 assists and Sydney Pigage led the defense with 18 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaytlin Elkins led Barton with 13 kills and eight digs.
- Allison Gambill added 13 kills and nine digs.
- Sarah Kirk and Megan McCain handed out 16 assists each and Baleigh Hill accounted for 12 digs.
- King is in action again on Saturday at Chowan University. First serve from Murfreesboro, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Barton hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.