MURFREESBORO, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team dropped the first set at Chowan University, but came back to take the 3-1 victory. Keri Ricker and Julie Ward each posted double-doubles in the Conference Carolinas victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Chowan 1 (20-25, 25-19, 25-22, 25-21)
LOCATION: Helms Center; Murfreesboro, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-7, 3-3 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 3-10, 1-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ward gave King an early 8-4 lead in the first set with a kill, but the Hawks fought back and evened the tally at 11.
- Chowan then used a 7-2 run to open up a 19-15 lead before the Tornado tried to come back.
- King got back within 21-19, but couldn't get any closer as the Hawks took the set 25-20.
- Kayley Holtzclaw ignited a 9-0 run that vaulted King into an 11-4 lead with a kill.
- Remi Thele capped the spurt with a kill.
- Chowan came back and pulled within 13-12 with an 8-2 run, but back-to-back kills from Ward and Rebekah Hill extended the King lead to 16-12.
- The Tornado then gradually extended their lead before consecutive kills from Emma Carico and Ward gave King the set 25-19.
- A 4-0 run, capped by a Hill ace gave King an 11-5 lead early in the third set.
- Back-to-back blocks from Thele and Holtzclaw, and a solo stuff from Holtzclaw gave King a 17-12 lead and capped another 4-0 spurt.
- Thele ended a Chowan 5-0 run, and broke a tie at 17. Ward later gave King a 20-17 lead and forced a Chowan timeout.
- The Hawsk held off three King set points, but Victoria Gause eventually gave King the 25-22 win with a kill.
- Carico broke a tie at seven with a kill before Ward followed with three straight terminations, giving King an 11-7 lead.
- Ward later served up a pair of aces before kills from Carico and Holtzclaw gave King an 18-11 lead following a 5-0 run.
- Chowan came back to pull within 20-18, but Ward came up with a pair of kills to stretch the King lead to 23-18.
- Ward later gave King a chance at set point and came up with another kill, giving King the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ricker handed out 49 assists and added 19 digs.
- Ward led the offense with 19 kills to go along with 17 digs.
- Holtzclaw added nine kills and four blocks.
- Sydney Pigage led the back row with 25 digs while Cathy Scaniffe chipped in with 12 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Anixa Rosa-Martinez led Chowan with 16 kills and 22 digs.
- Ciara Ortega handed out 35 assists and added eight dis.
- Katie Houston recorded 42 assists and Sydney Hiner added 15 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Ward was her seventh of the season.
- Ricker posted her sixth double-double of the year.
- King returns home to take on Southern Wesleyan University on Friday night at 7:00 p.m.
- Chowan travels to Converse College on Friday night.