BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team used their block to sweep Southern University on Friday night. King posted 11 blocks and hit .258 in the 3-0 Conference Carolinas victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Southern Wesleyan 0 (25-16, 25-8, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-7, 4-3 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 2-17, 0-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado hit .275 in the opening set behind 18 kills, including seven from Julie Ward.
- Georgia Davis and Tristyn Lozano added four kills each in the opening set.
- King scored six straight points with Sydney Pigage at the service line to take an 8-5 lead.
- The Tornado then gradually extended their lead, taking the set 25-16.
- Ward posted four kills in the second set to lead the Tornado to a 25-8 victory as King hit .400 in the set.
- With Lozano and Claire Wilson at the service line, King went on a 7-1 run to take a 12-5 advantage.
- Pigage then served out the final three points as the Tornado took the set.
- The King block hit their stride in the final set, posting seven blocks, four from Kayley Holtzclaw.
- King broke a tie at nine by scored five of the next six points.
- A Brittney Ramsey kill brought Hannah Rogers to the service line with King leading 16-13.
- Rogers then served the next five points as the Tornado opened up a 20-13 advantage following a Lozano kill.
- Keri Ricker eventually gave King the 25-17 win with an ace.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward posted 12 kills and 11 digs.
- Ricker handed out 29 assists and added 12 digs.
- Pigage led the defense with 16 digs while Ramsey posted six blocks and Holtzclaw had five stuffs.
- Lozano chipped in with eight kills and eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Olivia Johnson led the Warriors with six kills and five digs.
- Anna Martin led the defense with six digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ward posted her eighth double-double of the season and Ricker accounted for her seventh double-double of the season.
- King stays at home to take on North Greenville University at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.