BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team put together one of their best offensive performances of the season to defeat one of Conference Carolinas' top teams, North Greenville University. King hit over .300 for the second time this season as the Tornado offense was led by Julie Ward and Tristyn Lozano in the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-15)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-7, 5-3 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 11-11, 6-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight the entire way. North Greenville had the largest lead at 9-5, but the Tornado fought back.
- In the set, King produced 17 kills and hit .286.
- Lozano and Ward accounted for six kills each in the opening set.
- Trailing 22-21, Ward came up with a kill and Lozano followed with a pair of terminations to put the Tornado ahead 24-22.
- Remi Thele then gave King the 25-23 win with one of her five kills in the match.
- King again came from behind in the second set, using a 3-0 spurt to take a 15-13 lead and take the advantage.
- Lozano continued to be a go-to option for setter Keri Ricker as she posted seven kills in the set.
- The Tornado took a 20-18 lead following a 4-1 run before Ward started a 5-1 run that gave King the 25-21 win with a kill.
- Ricker served up an ace on the spurt before a pair of Ward kills gave the set to the Tornado.
- The Tornado offense took off in the third set, hitting a blistering .419 with 20 kills.
- Ward posted seven kills while Kayley Holtzclaw and Lozano added four kills each in the final set.
- King jumped out to a 5-1 lead as Ward and Thele posted kills on the spurt.
- The Crusaders came back to get within 14-12, but a Lozano termination brought momentum back to King.
- Including that kill, King closed the set on an 11-3 run, including the final seven points.
- Ward came up with a kill that brought her to the service line with King leading 19-15.
- Thele then came up with a kill that forced a North Greenville timeout.
- Lozano came up with a solo block before she added two kills, Holtzclaw added a kill before Thele gave King the 25-15 win with another kill.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward paced the King offense, accounting for 18 kills and 12 digs. She also hit .289.
- Lozano accounted for 17 kills and a .421 attack percentage as she made only one error in the match. She added nine digs and four blocks.
- Holtzclaw posted an attack percentage of .818, nine kills on 11 attempts with zero errors.
- Ricker handed out 45 assists to go along with 13 digs.
- In the back row, Sydney Pigage posted 13 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Erin Allen led North Greenville with 10 kills while Katie McManaway and Paige Beisecker followed with nine kills each.
- Eaden Shockley handed out 20 assists and Abby Pyke dished out 17 helpers.
- Katherine McClure led the defense with 13 digs and Whitley Kahler chipped in with 12 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The .321 attack percentage is the second-highest for the Tornado this year. They previously hit .337 against Lincoln Memorial University.
- The double-double for Ward is her ninth of the season and for Ricker the double-double is her eighth of the year.
- King is in action again on Friday night when they host Emmanuel College at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- North Greenville is in action again on Wednesday when they host Southern Wesleyan University.