BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team took their fifth straight win and fourth straight sweep on Saturday when they defeated Erskine College in the Student Center Complex. Julie Ward led the attack for the Tornado, hitting .400 for the second straight match as King topped the Flying Fleet 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-20)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-7, 7-3 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 9-16, 3-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King broke a tie at seven that brought Cathy Scaniffe to the service line.
- The Tornado scored four straight points to take an 11-7 lead following a Ward kill.
- However, the Flying Fleet came back and evened the score at 12 before King went on a run to take a 16-12 lead.
- Tristyn Lozano came up with one of her four kills in the set to give King a 20-14 lead and force an Erskine timeout.
- Ward later gave the set to King 25-19 with one of her five kills in the set.
- Keri Ricker served up an ace to start the second set and Ward followed with a pair of aces later to give King a 6-1 lead.
- The Tornado didn't look back, taking the second set 25-11.
- The third set may have been the best set for the Tornado on the day, hitting .320 in the final frame.
- Sydney Pigage started a Tornado run that gave King separation at 7-2 with an ace.
- The Tornado held the lead the remainder of the set before a block from Lozano and Brittney Ramsey gave King the 25-20 win and the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward posted 13 kills and hit .400 for the second straight match. She also added 10 digs.
- Ramsey chipped in with six kills and Lozano added five kills and seven digs.
- Ricker handed out 27 assists and posted 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Katy Torgerson led Erskine with 10 kills and five digs.
- Laney Gaston handed out 15 assists and added five digs.
- Taylor McClinton led the defense with 12 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Ward is her 10th of the season and for Ricker the double-double is her ninth of the year.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when they travel to Tusculum University. First serve from Greeneville, Tenn. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Erskine hosts Chowan University on Friday.