BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's team turned in another stellar performance in the Student Center Complex as they swept Conference Carolinas-leading Limestone College. The Tornado matched a season-best in blocks and closed the match on a 15-1 run, taking the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 0 (25-11, 25-18, 25-16)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-8, 8-3 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 13-8, 9-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Remi Thele got the Tornado off to a hot start with a kill as King opened up a 6-1 lead in the first set.
- A block from Thele and Brittney Ramsey forced an early Limestone timeout.
- The Tornado offense continued to click, opening up a 13-3 before back-to-back kills from Kayley Holtzclaw forced another Saint timeout with King leading 15-6.
- Tristyn Lozano eventually gave King the 25-11 victory with one of her first kill of the match.
- A kill from Thele and two from Lozano gave King separation in the second set before Holtzclaw and Julie Ward teamed up for a block to give King a 14-7 lead and force at Limestone timeout.
- King held their lead there before Thele came up with back-to-back terminations, giving King the 25-18 victory.
- In the set, the Tornado posted a .471 attack percentage, accounting for 16 kills and zero errors.
- Limestone tried to extend the match in the third set, taking a 14-9 lead when Tornado head coach Ryan Booher called for a timeout.
- The team split points out of the break as the Tornado offense starting to heat up.
- That started a 16-2 King run that closed the set, including an 11-0 run to take a 21-15 advantage.
- Ward posted three kills on the spurt before ending the match with consecutive aces as King took the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 13 kills and added eight digs.
- Holtzclaw followed with nine kills and five blocks, including three solo stuffs. She also hit .500 in the match, only making one attack error.
- Thele and Lozano chipped in with eight kills each.
- Sydney Pigage led the defense with 20 digs while Lozano added 12 digs.
- Keri Ricker handed out 30 assists and added 11 digs.
- Ramsey matched a career-high with seven blocks, including three solo stuffs.
FOR THE FOES
- Madysen Williams led Limestone with seven kills and eight digs.
- Mia Beran handed out 21 assists and added 10 digs.
- Jordyn Smith led the defense with 15 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 13 blocks for King matches a season-high, previously set against Georgia College. It is also their eight time this season with at least 10 blocks.
- The double-double for Ricker was her 10th of the season.
- King takes on Converse College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone travels to take on Lees-McRae College on Saturday.